Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2002/08/29 03:16:59 UTC

0.9.0 release

I've uploaded a site structure to http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ and also
uploaded some 0.9.0 source tarballs/zipballs. (signed, blah blah)

Since this is our first "formalized" release, could somebody at least take a
look around and make any tweaks or suggestions? Before putting an
announcement at Freshmeat or announce@apache.org or whatever, it would be
nice to at least get some validation of our release management setup.

IOW, it looks fine to me, but I don't trust it yet :-)

And, of course, anybody on *this* list is free to start trying out the newly
released tarballs :-)

btw, the release.sh script seems fine, although there is till a need for a
doc around that.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:12:43PM -0500, Scott Lamb wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > I've uploaded a site structure to http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ and also
> > uploaded some 0.9.0 source tarballs/zipballs. (signed, blah blah)
> >
> > Since this is our first "formalized" release, could somebody at least take a
> > look around and make any tweaks or suggestions? Before putting an
> > announcement at Freshmeat or announce@apache.org or whatever, it would be
> > nice to at least get some validation of our release management setup.
> >
> > IOW, it looks fine to me, but I don't trust it yet :-)
>
> Here's one problem: "apr-config --link-ld --libs" is still broken with
> layout apr - it returns -lapr instead of -lapr-0. Patch attached. I
> couldn't use APR_LIBNAME as is because it has a lib prefix. I stripped
> it out in the definition; seemed the most clean thing to do.

Good point. Now I recall seeing that patch come thru. I've applied this
patch and will roll a 0.9.1 release with it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 08:53:31PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > I've uploaded a site structure to http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ and also
> > uploaded some 0.9.0 source tarballs/zipballs. (signed, blah blah)
> you might want to update the main docs to reflect the 0.90 release
> http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/

Working on this now...

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:16:38PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Okay with what? I used libtool 1.4 and it wasn't okay.
>
> Are you saying that if I use the 1.4.2 version, that we'd be okay?

Per my earlier email, I believe if you use 1.4.2, we'll be
fine. -- justin

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:04:42AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> Well, I'd like to roll a 0.9.1 release including Scott Lamb's patch. I've
> got libtool 1.4 on my box. I should be able to get it upgraded to 1.4.2, but
> I suspect that I need something even better than that for correct Jaguar
> building.

Shouldn't need anything different on libtool 1.4.2 as the default
shell on 10.2 is now bash instead of zsh.  So, the escaping
problem we saw on 10.1/1.4.2 is moot.

It won't work on 10.1, but 10.2 should be okay, me thinks.  -- justin

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:25:38PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > Having problems out of the box on Darwin 6 (Jaguar), but it looks
> > like it's just the flat-namespace thing we saw before. I'm trying
> > again after a buildconf from the dist tarball and I'll report back
> > after.
>
> Looks good after a buildconf, so whatever version libtool was used to
> create the tarball is a no go on darwin... :( (That shouldn't stop us
> from releasing what we have, with the simple caveat that Darwin users
> rerun buildconf before running configure).

Well, I'd like to roll a 0.9.1 release including Scott Lamb's patch. I've
got libtool 1.4 on my box. I should be able to get it upgraded to 1.4.2, but
I suspect that I need something even better than that for correct Jaguar
building.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
> Having problems out of the box on Darwin 6 (Jaguar), but it looks
> like it's just the flat-namespace thing we saw before. I'm trying
> again after a buildconf from the dist tarball and I'll report back
> after.

Looks good after a buildconf, so whatever version libtool was used to
create the tarball is a no go on darwin... :( (That shouldn't stop us
from releasing what we have, with the simple caveat that Darwin users
rerun buildconf before running configure).

-aaron

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> Snapshot for now, sorry. We'll get an apr-util release soon. I'd like it
> for all the same reasons as an APR release.

ok, i'll make the port use a snapshot of apr-util for now.

thanks for working on this stuff though, i'm VERY happy to see an actual
release of apr in the works.

-garrett

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:22:34PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 09:16 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> > I've uploaded a site structure to http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ and
> > also
> > uploaded some 0.9.0 source tarballs/zipballs. (signed, blah blah)
> >
> > Since this is our first "formalized" release, could somebody at least
> > take a
> > look around and make any tweaks or suggestions? Before putting an
> > announcement at Freshmeat or announce@apache.org or whatever, it would
> > be
> > nice to at least get some validation of our release management setup.
> >
> > IOW, it looks fine to me, but I don't trust it yet :-)
>
> No apr-util tarball to go with it?

Nope. We're still "testing the waters", if you will. apr-util still needs
some work to get its versioning support in there, along with the relevant
build changes.

Re: 0.9.0 release

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 09:16 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> I've uploaded a site structure to http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/ and
> also
> uploaded some 0.9.0 source tarballs/zipballs. (signed, blah blah)
>
> Since this is our first "formalized" release, could somebody at least
> take a
> look around and make any tweaks or suggestions? Before putting an
> announcement at Freshmeat or announce@apache.org or whatever, it would
> be
> nice to at least get some validation of our release management setup.
>
> IOW, it looks fine to me, but I don't trust it yet :-)

No apr-util tarball to go with it?

The FreeBSD port of apr includes apr-util (because you need apr to
build apr-util anyway, and i needed apr-util for subversion), and it
would be nice to have a matching 0.9.0 tarball, rather than having to
pick some random snapshot...

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes