Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/11 14:01:18 UTC

[OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Hi
Is there any decent Open Source tool out there which can be used to do
reverse engineering of Java code,
If not open source then some thing which really works,
Any input would be really appreciated

Ashish

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2008/4/11, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:
>
>> I can stop feeling dirty for buying EA.
>>

> LOL! Anyway  I agree with you, Enterprise Architect is a great piece of
> software, I use it in my everyday job and it's fast, reliable and great for
> documentation (though I did not use it for reverse engineering).
> It's a pity that under Linux it's hard to install (it needs too many strange
> dependencies, like Crossover Office :-O), this is the reason why I don't buy
> it for my own PC.

Yeah, I also decided it was too much effort to setup the linux install.
I run it within a vmware workstation running XP.  I'm feeling dirty
again now.

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/11, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:

> I can stop feeling dirty for buying EA.

LOL! Anyway  I agree with you, Enterprise Architect is a great piece of
software, I use it in my everyday job and it's fast, reliable and great for
documentation (though I did not use it for reverse engineering).
It's a pity that under Linux it's hard to install (it needs too many strange
dependencies, like Crossover Office :-O), this is the reason why I don't buy
it for my own PC.

Antonio

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2008/4/11, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:
>
>>  A good opensource option is Poseidon for UML (http://www.gentleware.com/).
>> The community edition is free but that edition doesn't include Java->UML.
>>

> Err... Poseidon is not open source.
> Anyway, I think that NetBeans is pretty nice:
> http://www.netbeans.org/kb/60/uml/re.html
>
> Antonio

oops, sorry.  It also appears that Poseidon's community edition isn't free.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/11, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:
>  A good opensource option is Poseidon for UML (http://www.gentleware.com/).
> The community edition is free but that edition doesn't include Java->UML.

Err... Poseidon is not open source.
Anyway, I think that NetBeans is pretty nice:
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/60/uml/re.html

Antonio

P.S.: A previous e-mail, in which I tried to say that Poseidon is not
open source, was marked as spam....

Antonio

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by "David Durham, Jr." <da...@gmail.com>.
>  A good opensource option is Poseidon for UML (http://www.gentleware.com/).
> The community edition is free but that edition doesn't include Java->UML.

Poseidon and ArgoUML share a common codebase.  Argo does Java -> UML,
and I think the community edition of Poseidon does as well, but I'm
possibly wrong on this point.

-Dave

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Ashish Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi
> Is there any decent Open Source tool out there which can be used to do
> reverse engineering of Java code,
> If not open source then some thing which really works,
> Any input would be really appreciated
>
> Ashish

I'm not sure whether you want bytecode to java or java to uml?

My favourite commercial tool for Java->UML is Enterprise Architect. Code
engineering is included in the Professional Edition or higher.
http://www.sparxsystems.com/
A good opensource option is Poseidon for UML
(http://www.gentleware.com/).  The community edition is free but that
edition doesn't include Java->UML.

Other vendors provide plugins for at least Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA.
Check your IDE's plugin library to see what's available.

Re: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Haroon Rafique <ha...@utoronto.ca>.
On Friday at 8:01am, AK=>Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

AK> Hi
AK> Is there any decent Open Source tool out there which can be used to do
AK> reverse engineering of Java code,
AK> If not open source then some thing which really works,
AK> Any input would be really appreciated
AK>
AK> Ashish

Ashish,

I have used ESS-Model in the past (long time ago). Last release was in
2003, so it might be too old of a release.

http://essmodel.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
--
Haroon Rafique
<ha...@utoronto.ca>

RE: [OT] UML and Reverse Engineering

Posted by Brad A Cupit <br...@lsu.edu>.
it won't go from bytecode to UML but I've used JAD (and JadClipse) to go
from bytecode to Java:

http://www.kpdus.com/jad.html
http://jadclipse.sourceforge.net/

As far as UML is concerned, I saw this non-free tool yesterday, which
looked pretty interesting (especially the roundtrip feature):
http://www.gentleware.com/apollo.html

I'm not familiar with any of the open source UML tools.

Brad Cupit
Louisiana State University - UIS