Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by cy...@comcast.net on 2004/02/18 18:36:36 UTC

[QUESTION] Newbie getting started with mod_perl on a production server = trouble?

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, and I apologize if these questions seem too
elementary, but I did not seem to be able to find definitive answers
elsewhere.

I would like to start using mod_perl12, and I'm confident that I can
figure out how to get it up and running (with plenty of written
instruction), but I have one server to work with, and I'm nervous
about crashing it. At this point I am just looking for speed benefit
of mod_perl, so my configuration would be *very* simple.

1) Would I be making a big mistake in attempting this on a production
server? Rebooting could be done during slow periods, but is it
necessary to stop the server for an extended period in making the
installation? Actually the mod_perl module is already available as a
DSO, so it seems that it's just a matter of configuring httpd.conf and
a few other adjustments.

2) Would the mod_perl installation affect more than just the one
directory designated to run mod_perl scripts? IOW, would my other
scripts, now running in the cgi-bin, be affected in any way? I figured
on using an extension specific to mod_perl to try and avoid conflicts.

I am mostly working from the information in "MySQL and Perl for the
Web."

Many thanks,
Mark Richerzhagen

Re: [QUESTION] Newbie getting started with mod_perl on a production server = trouble?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> Yes, the more I got into researching specifics today, finding lots of
> seemingly conflicting advice, the more I can see the need for in-depth
> help.

if you stick to perl.apache.org and the resources listed there you are
unlikely to suggestions that are too far apart.

> I'll definitely be getting one or more of those books before I
> come back and bother you folks further. ;)

not a bother at all - we were all newbies once, so ask away.  but there is
lots of good documentation out there to get familiar with as well, so don't
be surprised if your initial questions can be answered in a link :)

--Geoff

RE: [QUESTION] Newbie getting started with mod_perl on a production server = trouble?

Posted by sagi <sa...@powweb.com>.
A good book is practical mod_perl. ISBN: 0596002270

But don't get scared of its massive size. I'm sure it will serve you
well beyond your initial requirements.

> you should really start with one of the books dedicated to mod_perl,
as it
> is there that you will find explanations from the people most
familiar with
> the technology.

Yes, the more I got into researching specifics today, finding lots of
seemingly conflicting advice, the more I can see the need for in-depth
help. I'll definitely be getting one or more of those books before I
come back and bother you folks further. ;)

Thanks,
Mark

Re: [QUESTION] Newbie getting started with mod_perl on a production server = trouble?

Posted by cy...@comcast.net.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
in additon to the suggestions made by thomas...

> 2) Would the mod_perl installation affect more than just the one
> directory designated to run mod_perl scripts? IOW, would my other
> scripts, now running in the cgi-bin, be affected in any way? I figured
> on using an extension specific to mod_perl to try and avoid conflicts.

in general, when mod_perl is properly set up, no, it will not conflict with
your existing mod_cgi scripts in your cgi-bin at all.

the disclaimer I would add is that mod_perl has the ability to affect the
entire server due to its very nature.  for instance, you may notice that
your httpd process size goes from around 1MB to 20MB (per-process :). so if
you consider production to be sacred (which I do), you're introducing a
far-reaching variable when installing mod_perl, which may cause production
issues if you are new to mod_perl and don't understand some of the trickier
issues.

> I am mostly working from the information in "MySQL and Perl for the
> Web."

you should really start with one of the books dedicated to mod_perl, as it
is there that you will find explanations from the people most familiar with
the technology.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/books.html

HTH

--Geoff

Re: [QUESTION] Newbie getting started with mod_perl on a production server = trouble?

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:36:36PM -0500, cyberintense@comcast.net wrote:

> I would like to start using mod_perl12, and I'm confident that I can

is this mod_perl1 or mod_perl2 (for Apache 1.x or 2.x)

Anyway, take a look at this section of the docs:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Installation_Without_Superuser_Privileges

If you install mod_perl this way, it should not interfere with your
production system. If you want to be extra save, install a different perl
and Apache, too.

You can run your testing mod_perl Server on a high port (8080 is common).

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at