Posted to user@hive.apache.org by yogendra reddy <yo...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/01 06:19:13 UTC

hive transactions

Hi All,

I'm caught up with the error pasted below after trying to use hive
transaction feature.I have followed this wiki to set required
configuration.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions#HiveTransactions-Configuration

set hive.support.concurrency=true;
set hive.exec.dynamic.partition.mode=nonstrict;
set hive.txn.manager=org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbTxnManager;
set hive.compactor.initiator.on=true;
set hive.compactor.worker.threads=1;

After setting the above I just ran this command "describe formatted
acidtest;"
any pointers as to why this occurs?

FAILED: Error in acquiring locks: Error communicating with the metastore
14/12/01 05:02:05 ERROR ql.Driver: FAILED: Error in acquiring locks: Error
communicating with the metastore
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.LockException: Error communicating with
the metastore
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbLockManager.lock(DbLockManager.java:101)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbTxnManager.acquireLocks(DbTxnManager.java:202)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.acquireLocksAndOpenTxn(Driver.java:939)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runInternal(Driver.java:1166)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1004)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:994)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLocalCmd(CliDriver.java:247)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:199)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:410)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.executeDriver(CliDriver.java:783)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:677)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:616)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)
Caused by: org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: Internal error
processing lock
        at
org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException.read(TApplicationException.java:108)
        at
org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:71)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Client.recv_lock(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:3781)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.ThriftHiveMetastore$Client.lock(ThriftHiveMetastore.java:3768)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.lock(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:1736)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor3.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.invoke(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:90)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy9.lock(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbLockManager.lock(DbLockManager.java:80)
        ... 17 more

p.s : Before setting the transaction specific properties I was able to run
hive queries successfully

Thanks,
Yogendra

Re: hive transactions

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Can you post the log from your metastore at the same time as this log
from your client?  That should tell what problem the metastore is seeing
to cause the lock request to fail.  Note that you can't attach your log
to mail sent to the list.  So you can cut and paste any relevant errors
or post part somewhere public and send the link.

Alan.

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: hive transactions

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.
Can you just bounce one mysql db

Re: hive transactions

Posted by yogendra reddy <yo...@gmail.com>.

RE: hive transactions

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi yogendra,

RE: hive transactions

[...]

14/12/01 05:02:05 ERROR ql.Driver: FAILED: Error in acquiring locks: Error communicating with the metastore

Re: hive transactions

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: hive transactions

Posted by yogendra reddy <yo...@gmail.com>.
It is running. As I mentioned earlier only after setting transaction
properties I'm getting the error, was able to run normal hive queries if I
disable transaction related properties!

Re: hive transactions

Posted by unmesha sreeveni <un...@gmail.com>.

Re: hive transactions

Posted by yogendra reddy <yo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks unmesha for the detailed article,
I have set the required configurations correctly but still the error
remains!.. I also see this warning in the trace [ WARN
metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient: MetaStoreClient lost connection.
Attempting to reconnect.] don't know why this only occurs when I set the
transaction configurations!

Thanks,
Yogendra

Re: hive transactions