Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mingfeng Yang <mf...@wisewindow.com> on 2013/05/30 19:12:03 UTC

solr 3.6 use only one CPU

We have a solr instance running on a 4 CPU box.

Sometimes, we send a query to our solr server and it take up 100% of one
CPU and > 60% of memory.   I assume that if we send another query request,
solr should be able to use another idling CPU.  However, it is not the
case.  Using top, I only see one cpu is busy, and the client side just gets
stucked.

Is solr 3.6 able to do multithreading to process requests?

Ming-

Re: solr 3.6 use only one CPU

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/30/2013 11:12 AM, Mingfeng Yang wrote:
> We have a solr instance running on a 4 CPU box.
>
> Sometimes, we send a query to our solr server and it take up 100% of one
> CPU and > 60% of memory.   I assume that if we send another query request,
> solr should be able to use another idling CPU.  However, it is not the
> case.  Using top, I only see one cpu is busy, and the client side just gets
> stucked.
>
> Is solr 3.6 able to do multithreading to process requests?

Solr is completely multithreaded, and has been for as long as I've been
using it, which started with version 1.4.0.  If you only send it one
request at a time, it will only use one CPU.  Your client code must be
multithreaded as well.

I don't have enough information to tell you whether your server is sized
appropriately for your index.  Here's some general information:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems

Thanks,
Shawn