Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Alex Rosen <al...@silverstream.com> on 2000/02/17 19:57:04 UTC

Version number confusion

I'm brand-new to Xerces, and I'm a bit confused about the current version.

http://xml.apache.org says: "The Xerces implementations are currently in
beta form. We are working on merging contributions from the initial
contributors into a unified code base. We expect to have a usable release of
Xerces by the end of 1999." Obviously this is out of date, WRT the reference
to 1999. But I can't tell if that date slipped and it's still in "beta", or
if it was met successfully and it's now of "release quality". It seems to be
version 1.0.1, which would indicate that it is past beta quality and is at
release quality. But this statement appears in the Readme file in the
Xerces-J download: "Note that because some of the standards, notably XML
Schema, are still not complete, the stable API will definitely be different
from its current form in Xerces 1.0.1." I can't tell if this means that some
parts of Xerces are release quality and some aren't, or if the whole thing
is still considered beta.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Alex