Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2016/03/24 01:21:04 UTC

Welcome to Google Summer of Code candidates

Hello all

I would like to welcome 3 students who are applying for a Google Summer
of Code project. Of course we are just in candidature stage and do not
know how many proposals will go through the selection process, but I
would still like to mention their efforts:

  * Joseph Suh is proposing to continue map projection implementations
    (SIS-212) [1]. There is more than 40 coordinate operations left to
    implement on a total of 72 currently reported. Of course Joseph
    would not implement all of them. We could target something like 4 or
    5 more projections.
  * Nguyen Thi Phuong Hao is proposing the implement the mapping from
    GeoTIFF metadata to ISO 19115 metadata model (first part of SIS-307
    [2]). A similar mapping already exists in SIS for the NetCDF format,
    but we also need it for GeoTIFF. For testing that the mapping gives
    good results on real data, Hao would write a small web service which
    would allow her to run her code on some Vietnam National Satellite
    Center (VNSC) data.
  * Vu Minh Chinh would start the work on reading pixel values from
    rasters (second part of SIS-307). We would use the GeoTIFF format
    for starting, without memory or performance consideration for now
    (but we will design the work in a way that will allow those
    considerations to be added after GSoC). Like Hao, Chinh would write
    a small web application for testing his code on VNSC data. This
    application would be a WMS prototype (e.g. no raster reprojection or
    resampling support at this stage). The intend is not to get
    competitive WMS yet, but to get the work started.

If anyone would like to present herself/himself, (s)he is welcome!

    Martin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-212
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-307

Re: Welcome to Google Summer of Code candidates

Posted by Rémi Maréchal <re...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all,

welcome, I have some experiences in Geotiff with metadatas.

I would be glad to answer question.

Remi.