Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jan Horak <ho...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/18 20:26:07 UTC

SQL backend development intention

Hi everybody,

I'm writing first time to Subversion Mailing List with the aim of
getting involved in the project. I will shortly present my intention:

I'm studying at Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic, Europe)
and I'm just starting to work on my dimploma thesis. The goal of the
thesis is to design and implement an SQL backend for the Subversion
(specificly MySQL).

As I've read some messages in the mailing list archive, there had been
some attempts to implement this extension and I belive there are enough
reasons to spend a time to do that. But as far as I know, nobody has got
any satisfactory results yet.

If there is anybody, who has considered with this topic, I would very
appreciate every relevant information - for example some existing
materials, analyses, desings, parts of code, .. simply anything.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

--
With kind regards

Jan HorĂ¡k
E-mail: horak.honza@gmail.com

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408717

Re: SQL backend development intention

Posted by Jan Horak <ho...@gmail.com>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 02:28 -0400, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> A lot of people have talked about it over the years, but nobody has
>> really spent much time to *do* it.
>>

> Actually, there was a prototype.  See
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~ejrh/subversion/mysql/ (referenced
> from notes/sql-backend in our repository.)

> If you're going to do this, then I'd suggest we create a branch for
> you, and you work on it in the main repository. That would provide the
> most review and feedback for your work.
Thanks a lot for your advice.

But currently I'm in phase of studying the Subversion system to get more
familiarized with its advanced features, backends, code etc.

I suppose I won't start design or implement the new backend until
December/January. So it is not necessary to create the branch for me right
now, but it would be very useful for me later.

Honza Horak

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409400

Re: SQL backend development intention

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@mit.edu>.
On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 02:28 -0400, Greg Stein wrote:
> A lot of people have talked about it over the years, but nobody has
> really spent much time to *do* it.

Actually, there was a prototype.  See
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~ejrh/subversion/mysql/ (referenced
from notes/sql-backend in our repository.)

My recollection is that it never got past the point of abysmal
performance.  SQL engines traditionally do not store tree-structured
data very efficiently; you can find strangely familiar discussions in
the OpenLDAP documentation about why they use BDB rather than an SQL
back end.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408946

Re: SQL backend development intention

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 16:26, Jan Horak <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm writing first time to Subversion Mailing List with the aim of
> getting involved in the project. I will shortly present my intention:
>
> I'm studying at Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic, Europe)
> and I'm just starting to work on my dimploma thesis. The goal of the
> thesis is to design and implement an SQL backend for the Subversion
> (specificly MySQL).

This sounds great!

> As I've read some messages in the mailing list archive, there had been
> some attempts to implement this extension and I belive there are enough
> reasons to spend a time to do that. But as far as I know, nobody has got
> any satisfactory results yet.

A lot of people have talked about it over the years, but nobody has
really spent much time to *do* it.

I also seem to recall that a third-party has built a
proprietary/private backend against Oracle.

> If there is anybody, who has considered with this topic, I would very
> appreciate every relevant information - for example some existing
> materials, analyses, desings, parts of code, .. simply anything.

I think that you'll find a lot of interest, and people willing to
discuss the concept, provide suggestions, etc. I just doubt that
you'll find many willing to dig in on the coding (or it would have
been done by now).

> I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

If you're going to do this, then I'd suggest we create a branch for
you, and you work on it in the main repository. That would provide the
most review and feedback for your work.

Cheers,
-g

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408845

Re: SQL backend development intention

Posted by Philipp Marek <ph...@emerion.com>.
Hello Jan!

On Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2009, Jan Horak wrote:
> I'm writing first time to Subversion Mailing List with the aim of
> getting involved in the project. I will shortly present my intention:
>
> I'm studying at Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic, Europe)
> and I'm just starting to work on my dimploma thesis. The goal of the
> thesis is to design and implement an SQL backend for the Subversion
> (specificly MySQL).
>
> As I've read some messages in the mailing list archive, there had been
> some attempts to implement this extension and I belive there are enough
> reasons to spend a time to do that. But as far as I know, nobody has got
> any satisfactory results yet.
>
> If there is anybody, who has considered with this topic, I would very
> appreciate every relevant information - for example some existing
> materials, analyses, desings, parts of code, .. simply anything.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
I'd be very interested about discussing some issues here ... I've got a few
ideas that might help you (or at least might be worth thinking about).

But I didn't start any code, nor will I find time for that. Sorry.

Regards,

Phil

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2408850

Re: SQL backend development intention

Posted by Jan Horak <ho...@gmail.com>.
David Glasser wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Jan Horak <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm writing first time to Subversion Mailing List with the aim of
>> getting involved in the project. I will shortly present my intention:
>>
>> I'm studying at Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic, Europe)
>> and I'm just starting to work on my dimploma thesis. The goal of the
>> thesis is to design and implement an SQL backend for the Subversion
>> (specificly MySQL).
>>
>> As I've read some messages in the mailing list archive, there had been
>> some attempts to implement this extension and I belive there are enough
>> reasons to spend a time to do that. But as far as I know, nobody has got
>> any satisfactory results yet.
>>
>> If there is anybody, who has considered with this topic, I would very
>> appreciate every relevant information - for example some existing
>> materials, analyses, desings, parts of code, .. simply anything.
>>

> I guess the first question is: why?
>
> Not that this is a bad idea or anything.  But what goal are you trying
> to accomplish by implementing a new Subversion backend?  Is it just an
> exercise in "to see if I can", or will it offer benefits over the
> current backends?  (eg performance, maintainability, interesting new
> queries, etc.)  If nothing else, knowing what problem you're trying to
> solve will help guide your schema design.
>
> --dave

Well, the first impuls to implement new backend didn't come up from me,
but from my diploma thesis tutor, so I can say it is kind of exercise
for me
right now.

Detailed analyse of advantages and disadvantages of SQL backend
(performance,
maintainability, etc.) in comparison to BDB and FSFS is one part of my next
work.

For the answer to your question "why?" I have currently only some notes
from
the mailing list archive, that suggest some noticeable features of SQL:
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=508191&orderBy=createDate&orderType=desc

Honza

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409419

Re: SQL backend development intention