Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2008/01/08 20:33:33 UTC

Weird behavior of Node/Domain start

It doesn't seem to be possible to start a Node that belongs to a Domain
anymore.

Node.start() throws the following Exception:
org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.NodeException: Node is part of domain
http://localhost:9998 so must be starterd from there
	at org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.impl.SCANodeImpl.start(SCANodeImpl.java:421)
	at launch.LaunchCloud.main(LaunchCloud.java:59)

The workaround seems to be to start the domain instead, leading to a
very weird code sequence, see the FIXME comments in [1].

I'm probably missing something, what's the correct way of creating nodes
and starting them now?

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/tutorial/cloud/launch/LaunchCloud.java

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Weird behavior of Node/Domain start

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Jan 8, 2008 7:33 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> It doesn't seem to be possible to start a Node that belongs to a Domain
> anymore.
>
> Node.start() throws the following Exception:
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.NodeException: Node is part of domain
> http://localhost:9998 so must be starterd from there
>        at org.apache.tuscany.sca.node.impl.SCANodeImpl.start(
> SCANodeImpl.java:421)
>        at launch.LaunchCloud.main(LaunchCloud.java:59)
>
> The workaround seems to be to start the domain instead, leading to a
> very weird code sequence, see the FIXME comments in [1].
>
> I'm probably missing something, what's the correct way of creating nodes
> and starting them now?
>
> [1]
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/tutorial/cloud/launch/LaunchCloud.java
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

> Yes, it's a bit different at the moment. The effect of calling start from
the domain is that the nodes are now started all together and this is after
they have been configured with a contribution/composite and the service
endpoints are known. This removes the need to do too many gymnastics in
terms of stopping/starting components to update their references as other
services become available which is what happens if they are started
independently.

I would like to turn this back on but there are a number of ongoing
conversations that affect how this will work, in particular URI calculation
[1], domain model persistence [2] and proposed changes to the way the
contribution service will operate[3] which we need to sort out first  (once
the 1.1. release is done). I keep trying to sit down to draw some of this
together into some sensible post that we can comment on but 1.1 is still
kicking at the moment. Sorry about the lack of action.

Simon

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg26777.html
     http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg26752.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg26566.html