Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/01 16:13:27 UTC

Re: Quoting queries

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:50 AM, Lane David (ST-ESS/MKP3.2) <
David.Lane@de.bosch.com> wrote:

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this help
> me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java clients and
> they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be worthwhile finding out
> why. There is even a help page that details how to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the
problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially
replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the
same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really
important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you
can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have
something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.

AW: Quoting queries

Posted by "Lane David (ST-ESS/MKP3.2)" <Da...@de.bosch.com>.
Hi Kunal,

wow I never thought of that with the comments but it makes perfect sense. Thanks! I looked for a similar setting in intellij but couldn't find one so have filed a bug. I think it would be helpful to others to put the info below onto the page https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

Regards and thanks again,
David

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
Hi David

________________________________

I think the steps were included: see the next few lines. But in re-reading the emails I saw that Kunal said to file a bug which I somehow missed on first reading. I'll do that then.

> > > The following doesn't work:
> > > select * from `a/*/c.json`;
> > >
> > > Error: PARSE ERROR: Lexical error at line 1, column 44.  Encountered:
> > > <EOF> after : "`a"
> > >
> > > I tried the following:
> > > select * from `a/\*/c.json`;
> > > Error: VALIDATION ERROR: From line 1, column 33 to line 1, column 60:
> > > Table 'a/\*/c.json' not found
> > > And various other combinations of \, /, ', etc.

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this
> help me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java
> clients and they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be
> worthwhile finding out why. There is even a help page that details how
> to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.

Re: Quoting queries

I think the steps were included: see the next few lines. But in re-reading the emails I saw that Kunal said to file a bug which I somehow missed on first reading. I'll do that then.

> > > The following doesn't work:
> > > select * from `a/*/c.json`;
> > >
> > > Error: PARSE ERROR: Lexical error at line 1, column 44.  Encountered:
> > > <EOF> after : "`a"
> > >
> > > I tried the following:
> > > select * from `a/\*/c.json`;
> > > Error: VALIDATION ERROR: From line 1, column 33 to line 1, column 60:
> > > Table 'a/\*/c.json' not found
> > > And various other combinations of \, /, ', etc.

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this
> help me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java
> clients and they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be
> worthwhile finding out why. There is even a help page that details how
> to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.

AW: Quoting queries

I think the steps were included: see the next few lines. But in re-reading the emails I saw that Kunal said to file a bug which I somehow missed on first reading. I'll do that then.

> > > The following doesn't work:
> > > select * from `a/*/c.json`;
> > >
> > > Error: PARSE ERROR: Lexical error at line 1, column 44.  Encountered:
> > > <EOF> after : "`a"
> > >
> > > I tried the following:
> > > select * from `a/\*/c.json`;
> > > Error: VALIDATION ERROR: From line 1, column 33 to line 1, column 60:
> > > Table 'a/\*/c.json' not found
> > > And various other combinations of \, /, ', etc.

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this
> help me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java
> clients and they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be
> worthwhile finding out why. There is even a help page that details how
> to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.

Re: Quoting queries

I think the steps were included: see the next few lines. But in re-reading the emails I saw that Kunal said to file a bug which I somehow missed on first reading. I'll do that then.

> > > The following doesn't work:
> > > select * from `a/*/c.json`;
> > >
> > > Error: PARSE ERROR: Lexical error at line 1, column 44.  Encountered:
> > > <EOF> after : "`a"
> > >
> > > I tried the following:
> > > select * from `a/\*/c.json`;
> > > Error: VALIDATION ERROR: From line 1, column 33 to line 1, column 60:
> > > Table 'a/\*/c.json' not found
> > > And various other combinations of \, /, ', etc.

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this
> help me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java
> clients and they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be
> worthwhile finding out why. There is even a help page that details how
> to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.

AW: Quoting queries

Posted by "Lane David (ST-ESS/MKP3.2)" <Da...@de.bosch.com>.
Hi Ted,

I think the steps were included: see the next few lines. But in re-reading the emails I saw that Kunal said to file a bug which I somehow missed on first reading. I'll do that then.

> > > The following doesn't work:
> > > select * from `a/*/c.json`;
> > >
> > > Error: PARSE ERROR: Lexical error at line 1, column 44.  Encountered:
> > > <EOF> after : "`a"
> > >
> > > I tried the following:
> > > select * from `a/\*/c.json`;
> > > Error: VALIDATION ERROR: From line 1, column 33 to line 1, column 60:
> > > Table 'a/\*/c.json' not found
> > > And various other combinations of \, /, ', etc.

> but even it does work with a self-written java program how does this
> help me or what does it mean? I have tried 3 "off the shelf" java
> clients and they all don't work with: in my opinion it would be
> worthwhile finding out why. There is even a help page that details how
> to get drill working with
> squirrel:
> https://drill.apache.org/docs/using-jdbc-with-squirrel-on-windows/

The issue is that it helps the community figure out what is happening.

From my reading of the email record, I don't see a clear replication of the problem. You clearly have it with squirrel. Kunal seems to have partially replicated the problem, but it isn't clear that the problem he sees is the same as what you see. In particular, in debugging a problem, it is really important to get something that works and something that doesn't. IF you can verify that what works for Kunal works for you, then the guys have something to munch on.

I will check with him off-line.