Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/12/20 04:07:32 UTC

updates.SpamAssassin.org zone

An issue --

each time an update tarball is created, the zone serial number for the
"top level" spamassassin.org SOA needs to be incremented.

I'd prefer to avoid this, but I can't really see a way to do so, unless we
explicitly set up updates.spamassassin.org. as a separate zone with a
separate SOA of its own -- and therefore separate secondaries etc!

suggestions?  Theo?

--j.

Re: updates.SpamAssassin.org zone

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:52:12PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:
> I was more worried about the danger aspects of auto-editing the zone
> file daily ;)  The records for updates can be done with a $INCLUDE,
> but I'm not sure about the SOA line.

Ah.  Yeah, I can understand that.  We could separate out the SOA and
updates records if necessary, but I think we can make the update code
pretty safe.  (I have related code in my http://www.mkrdns.org/ code.)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I don't think Microsoft is evil in itself; I just think they make really

Re: updates.SpamAssassin.org zone

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:07:32PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:
> each time an update tarball is created, the zone serial number for the
> "top level" spamassassin.org SOA needs to be incremented.
>
> I'd prefer to avoid this, but I can't really see a way to do so, unless we
> explicitly set up updates.spamassassin.org. as a separate zone with a
> separate SOA of its own -- and therefore separate secondaries etc!

Yeah, I had been going back and forth thinking about this issue.  I generally
decided that keeping the single zone will make things easier.  If the updates
traffic gets to be too much, we could split it off, but I doubt that'll happen
anytime soon.

It's not really a big deal to update the main zone instead of just the updates
area.  We can easily do 100 revisions per day while keeping the YYYYMMDDVV
format, and the current servers will probably do IXFR to transfer diffs
around.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Give thought to your reputation.  Consider changing name and moving to