Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Patrick Campbell <PC...@ourvacationstore.com> on 2004/12/06 18:06:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Custom 500 error message apache/tomcat

Working in a test environment here, when we restart Tomcat I want to throw
up a different set of error messages than when there is actually a problem,
so that our QA people know when we're restarting Tomcat (e.g. when we put up
new Jar files) as opposed to there being a real problem.

My solution was to temporarily write a .htaccess file into the root httpd
directory (I put AllowOverride FileInfo on all <directory> directives in
httpd.conf, and there are no .htaccess files in subdirs to override the one
in the root httpd directory), then the idea is to remove the .htaccess file
after Tomcat is up and running again so we get the "real" error docs.

Here's what my .htaccess file looks like.

ErrorDocument 400 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 401 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 403 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 404 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 405 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 408 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 410 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 411 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 412 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 413 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 414 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 415 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 500 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 501 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 502 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 503 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds
ErrorDocument 506 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds

For testing, I go to http://our.test.environment.com/non-existant-file I get
the 404 error , but while restarting Tomcat, the users get  the "real" 500
error as defined in Apache (the one we want them to see when there is a TRUE
500 error).  Why might this be not pulling my 500 error from the .htaccess
file?  Is there something perhaps in Tomcat that defines error files vs.
Apache's error files?

Is there a better solution to my problem than with .htaccess files?

Patrick Campbell
OurVacationStore.com
Website Administrator
pcampbell@ourvacationstore.com

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
you could use a cgi as errordoc which can test what the exact
error-condition is.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:06:41 -0700, Patrick Campbell
<pc...@ourvacationstore.com> wrote:

> Here's what my .htaccess file looks like.
>

> ErrorDocument 500 "Restarting Tomcat - Please retry in 30 seconds

> For testing, I go to http://our.test.environment.com/non-existant-file I get
> the 404 error , but while restarting Tomcat, the users get  the "real" 500
> error as defined in Apache (the one we want them to see when there is a TRUE
> 500 error).  Why might this be not pulling my 500 error from the .htaccess
> file?  Is there something perhaps in Tomcat that defines error files vs.
> Apache's error files?
>
> Is there a better solution to my problem than with .htaccess files?

You will probably need to change httpd.conf and restart (gracefully)
apache.  For requests that are handled outside the filesystem, apache
will not necessarily read the .htaccess files.

Joshua.