Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by sa...@tkk.fi on 2008/05/15 13:27:59 UTC

Plugins vs. .doc/.xls/.ppt/.pdf/.avi/.mp3/.tex/...

I may be wrong, but my impression is that JSPWiki's plugins are meant
to be something like transformers - transform a spreadsheet, say, into
a Wiki page. But what if you don't need or want a transformation?

What I would like is a link to a file of a particular type such that
when clicked, the corresponding program (OpenOffice,Excel,...) is
launched. Or, if it is a PDF file, then Acroread is launched to show it.

Something like that is not a plugin, is it? How should the link be formatted?

Thank you,
Sakari Aaltonen

Re: Plugins vs. .doc/.xls/.ppt/.pdf/.avi/.mp3/.tex/...

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
JSPWiki plugins are small pieces of code which allow more complicated
rendering thatn basic wikimarkup.

The application which opens your attachment is decided by the
browser, based on the file extension and the MIME type sent by the
server.  Check out the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml to see the mime
mappings used by the server.

Just linking to the attachment is quite enough.

/Janne