Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2019/12/12 06:11:24 UTC

[VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

This is a vote to release Log4j 2.13.0, the next version of the Log4j 2 project.

Please download, test, and cast your votes on the log4j developers list.
[] +1, release the artifacts
[] -1, don't release because...

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required). All votes are welcome and we encourage everyone to test the release, but only Logging PMC votes are “officially” counted. As always, at least 3 +1 votes and more positive than negative votes are required.

Changes in this release include:

New Features

	• LOG4J2-2732: Add ThreadContext.putIfNotNull method. Thanks to Matt Pavlovich.
	• LOG4J2-2731: Add a Level Patttern Selector.
	• LOG4J2-63: Add experimental support for Log4j 1 configuration files.
	• LOG4J2-2716: Add the ability to lookup Kubernetes attributes in the Log4j configuration. Allow Log4j properties to be retrieved from the Spring environment if it is available.
	• LOG4J2-2710: Allow Spring Boot application properties to be accessed in the Log4j 2 configuration. Add lower and upper case Lookups.
	• LOG4J2-2639: Add builder pattern to Logger interface.
Fixed Bugs

	• LOG4J2-2058: Prevent recursive calls to java.util.LogManager.getLogger().
	• LOG4J2-2725: LOG4J2-2725 - Added try/finally around event.execute() for RingBufferLogEventHandler to clear memory correctly in case of exception/error Thanks to Dzmitry Anikechanka.
	• LOG4J2-2635: Wrong java version check in ThreadNameCachingStrategy. Thanks to Filipp Gunbin.
	• LOG4J2-2674: Use a less confusing name for the CompositeConfiguration source. Thanks to Anton Korenkov.
	• LOG4J2-2727: Add setKey method to Kafka Appender Builder. Thanks to Clément Mathieu.
	• LOG4J2-2707: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException could occur with MAC address longer than 6 bytes. Thanks to Christian Frank.
	• LOG4J2-2712: The rolling file appenders would fail to compress the file after rollover if the file name matched the file pattern.
	• LOG4J2-2693: @PluginValue does not support attribute names besides "value".
	• LOG4J2-2647: Validation blocks definition of script in properties configuration.
	• LOG4J2-2680: Set result of rename action to true if file was copied. Thanks to Guillermo Xavier Hurtado Garcia.
	• LOG4J-2672: Add automatic module names where missing. Thanks to Stephen Colebourne.
	• LOG4J2-2673: OutputStreamAppender.Builder ignores setFilter(). Thanks to Yuichi Sugimura.
	• LOG4J2-2725: Prevent a memory leak when async loggers throw errors. Thanks to Dzmitry Anikechanka.
Changes

	• LOG4J2-2701: Update Jackson to 2.9.10.
	• LOG4J2-2709: Allow message portion of GELF layout to be formatted using a PatternLayout. Allow ThreadContext attributes to be explicitly included or excluded in the GelfLayout.

Tag:
a)  for a new copy do "git clone https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2.git" and then "git checkout tags/log4j-2.13.0-rc2”
b) for an existing working copy to “git pull” and then “git checkout tags/log4j-2.13.0-rc2”

Web Site:  http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/index.html.

Maven Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1050

Distribution archives: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4j/

You may download all the Maven artifacts by executing:
wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=7 -nH -r -p -np --no-check-certificate https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1050/org/apache/logging/log4j/

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
+1

Remko.

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My +1

Ralph

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Carter Kozak <ck...@ckozak.net>.
+1

Everything is green, our internal logging benchmarks do not appear to have regressed.

-ck

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Carter Kozak <ck...@ckozak.net>.
> [...]

> > Changes
> >
> > • LOG4J2-2701: Update Jackson to 2.9.10.
> > • LOG4J2-2709: Allow message portion of GELF layout to be formatted using a PatternLayout. Allow ThreadContext attributes to be explicitly included or excluded in the GelfLayout.
> >
> > Tag:
> > a) for a new copy do "git clone https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2.git" and then "git checkout tags/log4j-2.13.0-rc2”
> > b) for an existing working copy to “git pull” and then “git checkout tags/log4j-2.13.0-rc2”
> >
> > Web Site: http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/index.html.
> >
> > Maven Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-1050
> >
> > Distribution archives: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4j/
> >
> > You may download all the Maven artifacts by executing:

-ck

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.13.0-rc2

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.