Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Cox, Charlie" <cc...@cincom.com> on 2001/12/14 14:38:06 UTC

RE: Try a different approach - What's wrong with catalina.session ???

> Craig said...
>
> >This kind of problem indicates that your Tomcat installation
> is somehow
>
> >corrupted.  If it were really a bug, it would be happening
> to everyone,
>
> >not just to you.
> >
> >I suggest that you do the following:
> >
> >* Make sure you do not have anything in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext
> > (most *especially* not things like servlet.jar or j2ee.jar,
> > which are *guaranteed* to cause nothing but grief)
>
> RSH: WHY?  That is where you put these files to allow you to compile
> code.  Why should it cause Tomcat grief (esp. NOT 4.0 but only 4.0.1)
> unless the Tomcat jar loader code is now broken?

Actually you should use the CLASSPATH to compile code and not put things
into $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext. When you put things into this directory, the
bootstrapper loads the classes(not tomcat) and tomcat cannot load newer
versions of those libraries.
So if you have the tomcat4.0 servlet.jar in that directory tomcat cannot
load the tc401servlet.jar since those classes are already loaded. I'm not
sure if servlet.jar file changed from 4.0 to 4.0.1, but that also goes for
any library that you may want to have different versions of for different
web apps.

You should review the classloader doc.

Charlie