Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/12/21 04:46:18 UTC

[VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
Incubator PMC vote to incubate a new podling, to be known as "River".
You may be familiar with this project as it has been discussed under
other names, including Braintree and Jini.  I've actually lost track of
the Quest for a Name, and actually feel very responsible for this naming
mess, for which I apologize.

Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :

[ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
[ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

The proposal can be found here :

   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RiverProposal

and is included below for archival purposes :

  RiverProposal

*Proposal for new project River*

(0) rationale

Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines a
programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology to
enable the construction of secure, distributed systems consisting of
federations of services and clients. Jini technology can be used to
build adaptive network systems that are scalable, evolvable and flexible
as typically required in dynamic computing environments.

Quoting from The Jini Specifications
(http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jini/spec/) book:

"Jini technology is a simple infrastructure for providing services in a
network, and for creating spontaneous interactions between programs that
use these services. Services can join or leave the network in a robust
fashion, and clients can rely upon the availability of visible services,
or at least upon clear failure conditions. When you interact with a
service, you do so through a Java object provided by that service. This
object is downloaded into your program so that you can talk to the
service even if you have never seen its kind before - the downloaded
object knows how to do the talking. That's the whole system in a nutshell."

Sun Microsystems originally introduced the technology in January, 1999
by providing a Jini Technology Starter Kit
(http://starterkit.dev.java.net/). This includes a contributed
implementation of all of the specifications, as well as helpful
utilities and tools. The source code was made available through the Sun
Community Source License (SCSL) as an attempt to make the code widely
available and accessible to both individuals and companies. Sun has
continued to innovate throughout the years, releasing many versions of
the starter kit. The license associated with the starter kit was changed
(http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503&L=jini-users&O=A&P=36217)
in March, 2005 to the Apache License, Version 2.0.

Since its beginning, there was desire and effort to form a developer
community around the technology. This has helped to create an
interesting, active, and passionate community - the Jini Community. This
global Community has engaged on technology projects, discussions and
debates, events, and a decision making process. It has contributed to,
and helped influence the direction of the starter kit. Some of the
collaborative technology projects have led to key contributions being
used by other technology projects as well as commercial products. One
example is the Service UI API (http://www.artima.com/jini/serviceui/),
which is a way to attach user interfaces to Jini services.

Despite the obvious successes of the technology and Community, some
changes are in store as outlined in a recent note to the Community: "A
New Day"
(http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=jini-users&F=&S=&P=4029).
The most critical part of the new plan is to find the right place for
the future development and advancement of the core Jini technology. We
wanted an environment that was synergistic with our exisiting Community
culture -- so one that is active, with open communication and
collaboration, and a reputation for producing high quality software. We
think we've found that place with the Apache Software Foundation.

(0.1) criteria

/Meritocracy:/

The River project will be meritocractic. The project will follow the
guidelines (http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy)
of the Apache Software Foundation. In order to achieve this, we plan on
proactively recruiting individuals in the Community to get involved in
the project: specifying work that needs to be done, encouraging bug
fixes, enhancements, and advancements, and engaging in discussion on how
the code works and is structured. In the end, we are committed to
creating an environment to foster a meritocracy.

/Community:/

There has been a diverse and active Community built around Jini
technology since it was first introduced in January, 1999. The Jini
Community consists of a global set of individuals, companies, non-profit
organizations, and universities. The Community communicates primarily
through various email lists: jini-users
(http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/jini-users.html) (~1400
subscriptions), and javaspaces-users
(http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javaspaces-users.html) (~800
subscriptions). There are shared works and collaborative projects around
the core infrastructure in the Community, with many of them gathered at
Java.net (http://jini.dev.java.net). There is a wiki -based web site,
Jini.org (http://www.jini.org), which hosts a variety of information,
links, and content on "all things Jini". This includes organization and
information on events (http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:Events) that
the Community has leveraged to share ideas and come together. There are
also many individuals in the Community who have chosen to evangelize the
technology at various conferences, user groups, blogs, etc. In summary,
while it isn't quite the same as running an open source community, we
believe we've developed an incredibly strong base on which to build.

/Core Developers:/

Most of the initial core developers are key members of Sun's Jini
development, test, and Community management team. There are three (non
Sun) initial core developers that are well recognized technology and
thought leaders in the Jini Community, including giving presentations
(http://www.jini.org/wiki/8th_JCM_Sessions#Why_We_Need_A_Standard_Jini_Platform)
at Jini Community Meetings, and receiving the annual Jini Community
Contributor's Award in recognition of their contributions to the
Community. There are a number of other strong developers in the
Community interested and we expect will prove themselves worthy
committers in short order.

/Alignment:/

River is aligned well with Apache in terms of technologies and
licensing. It fits in well technologically with other Apache projects,
which also focus on clustering, web frameworks, and Java technolgies.
Also, the starter kit build framework is based on Ant. The license of
the initial source being proposed is already aligned as it is licensed
under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

(0.2) warning signs

/Orphaned products:/

The project being proposed is a natural evolution of the technology and
Community. Sun has shepherded both since 1999, and in recent years the
Jini Community has been pressing to be more involved and empowered. Once
the license for Jini technology was opened up and the Apache License,
Version 2.0 was chosen for Sun's contributions
(http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503&L=jini-users&O=A&P=36217),
an open development model was the obvious next step. The response from
the Jini Community on this direction has been very positive, with many
Community members anxious to get active. This is a proposal we're making
with a full committment to construct an active and successful project.

/Inexperience with open source:/

The initial committers have varying degrees of experience with open
source projects. All have been involved with source code that has been
released under an open source license, but there is limited experience
developing code with an open source development process. We do not,
however, expect any difficulty in executing under normal meritocracy rules.

/Homogenous developers:/

Since the Jini Technology Starter Kit has been mainly developed to date
by Sun Microsystems, the vast majority of initial committers to the
project are from Sun. Over the years, Sun has received bug fixes and
enhancements from other developers which have been incorporated into the
code. Our plan is to work with these other developers and add them as
committers as we progress. There are five other initial committers (non
Sun): Bill Venners, Dan Creswell, Mark Brouwer, Nigel Daley, and Geir
Magnusson. Bill is the lead of the Service UI API work; Dan has been
involved with much Jini-based development, including an implementation
of the JavaSpaces service called Blitz (http://www.dancres.org/blitz/);
Mark is a veteran of much Jini-based development, including commercial
work at Virgil (http://www.virgil.nl) as well as leading the open source
Cheiron (http://www.cheiron.org) project; Nigel was formerly at Sun as
the Jini test lead, but now is with another company; Geir is the
Champion for our Apache project proposal.

/Reliance on salaried developers:/

It is expected that River development will occur on both salaried time
and on volunteer time, after hours. While there is reliance on salaried
developers (currently from Sun, but it's expected that other company's
salaried developers will also be involved), the Jini Community is very
active and things should balance out fairly quickly. In the meantime,
Sun will support the project in the future by dedicating 'work time' to
River, so that there is a smooth transition.

/No ties to other Apache products:/

Currently the only tie to Apache projects is the starter kit's use of
the Ant build tool. There are potential future ties (http server,
database backend, etc) that will be explored.

/A fascination with the Apache brand:/

Many of us have been working on advancing Jini technology and developing
the Jini Community for many years. We care deeply about it and want the
technology and Commutity to continue to flourish. As we considered
options for where/how to move Jini technology to an open source
development model, our respect and admiration for the work done by the
Apache Software Foundation drove us to choose this as our best option.
As a Java-based infrastructure for building systems, River fits in well
with the other projects at Apache, and the Community we've built shares
many philosophies (open communication, fairness, diversity, etc). We
believe there are strong synergies here.

(1) scope of the project

The scope of the River project would be the continued development of
Jini technology core infrastructure software, including the
implementation of Jini specifications, related utilities and tools. The
development would include adding new features and improving performance,
scalability, quality, and extensibility.

(2) identify the initial source from which the project is to be populated

The initial resources would be garnered from:

* Jini Technology Starter Kit
(https://starterkit.dev.java.net/downloads/jini/2.1/index.html) project
on Java.net,

* Service UI implementation
(http://www.artima.com/jini/serviceui/CodeAccess.html) from Artima.com,

* QATests (formerly, a project on Jini.org)

(3) identify the ASF resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list(s)

     * river-private (with moderated subscriptions)
     * river-dev
     * river-commits
     * river-user

(3.2) Subversion or CVS repositories

River would like to use a Subversion repository.

(3.3) Jira (issue tracking)

Since River would have its own release cycle, it should have its own
JIRA project

     * Project Name: River
     * Project Key: RIVER

(4) identify the initial set of committers

     * Dan Creswell (dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk)
     * Bill Venners (bv@artima.com)
     * Mark Brouwer (mark.brouwer@cheiron.org)
     * Geir Magnusson Jr (geirm@apache.org)
     * Bob Scheifler (bob.scheifler@sun.com)
     * Jim Waldo (jim.waldo@sun.com)
     * John McClain (john.mcclain@sun.com)
     * Brian Murphy (brian.t.murphy@sun.com)
     * Peter Jones (peter.jones@sun.com)
     * Juan Ramirez (juan.ramirez@sun.com)
     * Frank Barnaby (frank.barnaby@sun.com)
     * Fred Oliver (fred.oliver@sun.com)
     * Robert Resendes (robert.resendes@sun.com
     * Vinod Johnson (thomas.johnson@sun.com)
     * Ron Mann (ron.mann@sun.com)
     * Nigel Daley (ndaley@mac.com)
     * Jim Hurley (jim.hurley@sun.com)

(5) identify apache sponsoring individual

* Champion

     * Geir Magnusson Jr.

* Mentors

     * Geir Magnusson Jr.
     * Phil Steitz
     * Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
>> Incubator PMC vote to incubate a new podling, to be known as "River".
>> You may be familiar with this project as it has been discussed under
>> other names, including Braintree and Jini.  I've actually lost track
>> of the Quest for a Name, and actually feel very responsible for this
>> naming mess, for which I apologize.
>>
>> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>>
>> [ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
>> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)
>>

> Could you address the overlap with other ASF projects and podlings
> which are in similar technology space? Why a new and distinct
> podling and not joining/helping them?

Can you provide an indication as to which projects and podlings you
think this overlaps with?

Thanks,

Dan.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jim,

Keep in mind that JINI significantly predates all of the current Web
Services efforts, not just here but anywhere.  Technically, SOAP at
Microsoft *might* predate JINI, but JINI was out and about (in so far as it
has ever gained much marketshare) before Web Services as we know them.

In any event, I think that overlap could be considered in terms of potential
synergies (technical and community).  Those are things that I'd like to see
more from Synapse (WSDL focused ESB), Tuscany (SCA focused ESB) and
ServiceMix (JBI focused ESB), for example.  I am quite interested to see
what JINI will bring to the table in terms of inter-operability and added
value at a time when most people are focused on models based on BPEL and
WSDL-described services.  And I do believe that it has such to offer.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 21, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Dan Creswell wrote:
>> From experience of evangelizing Jini I find each person's SOA
>> definition
> to be different from another's and I have to argue/discuss on a
> case by
> case basis.
>
> So I kind of agree it's a valid item for discussion but given the
> above
> experience I really am not sure exactly how one provides an
> exhaustive/useful explanation to handle this discussion (in it's
> myriad
> of forms) in the proposal.

A simple one-liner similar to Geir's "No other ASF project
or podling in the architecture space is based on Jini"
is enough I think...

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say "fundamental
>> technology" for service infrastructure in the java platform, very
>> different from today's "SOA".
>>
>> I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
>> shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.
>>
>> They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing impls
>> anyway...)
>>

> I know and agree, but when the proposal starts off with:
>
>    "Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines
>     a programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology
>     to enable the construction of secure, distributed systems...."
>
> then it's valid item, I think :)
>

>From experience of evangelizing Jini I find each person's SOA definition
to be different from another's and I have to argue/discuss on a case by
case basis.

So I kind of agree it's a valid item for discussion but given the above
experience I really am not sure exactly how one provides an
exhaustive/useful explanation to handle this discussion (in it's myriad
of forms) in the proposal.

I guess we could take the SOA reference model from OASIS as our working
definition and work from there?  Even then, I don't know that we can
work around it - a core abstraction of Jini architecture is the service.

Dan.

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say
> "fundamental technology" for service infrastructure in the java
> platform, very different from today's "SOA".
>
> I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
> shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.
>
> They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing
> impls anyway...)

I know and agree, but when the proposal starts off with:

    "Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines
     a programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology
     to enable the construction of secure, distributed systems...."

then it's valid item, I think :)

>> Also, one thing that had been discussed is better clarification
>> in proposals regarding the Initial List of Committers
>> and the Initial List of PPMC Members... To avoid the
>> issues that popped up with CXF.
>
> We'll argue it out once/if the podling starts, but I was going to
> suggest that we run it in the fashion of Harmony - that we wait
> until those that are listed engage and participate, and then give
> them commit, and have the mentors build the PPMC in parallel based
> on engagement and participation.

IIRC, the thinking within the Incubator after all the discussions
was that it needed to be more clear before the podling
started, to ensure everyone was on the same page.

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Could you address the overlap with other ASF projects and podlings
>>> which are in similar technology space?
>>
>> There are none doing Jini at this time.
>>
>>> Why a new and distinct
>>> podling and not joining/helping them?
>>
>> See above :)
>>

> I think that the proposal should at least address that...
> People see "hey another SOA project, architecture for services"

it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say "fundamental
technology" for service infrastructure in the java platform, very
different from today's "SOA".

I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.

They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing impls
anyway...)

> and need to know how River is different and unique by
> anticipating the question :)

Yeah.  Well, I have a basic understanding of what Jini is, and I
never confuse the two.   I certainly can understand how someone
unfamiliar with it would be confused.

> Also, one thing that had been discussed is better clarification
> in proposals regarding the Initial List of Committers
> and the Initial List of PPMC Members... To avoid the
> issues that popped up with CXF.

We'll argue it out once/if the podling starts, but I was going to
suggest that we run it in the fashion of Harmony - that we wait until
those that are listed engage and participate, and then give them
commit, and have the mentors build the PPMC in parallel based on
engagement and participation.

geir

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Dec 21, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
>> Incubator PMC vote to incubate a new podling, to be known as
>> "River". You may be familiar with this project as it has been
>> discussed under other names, including Braintree and Jini.  I've
>> actually lost track of the Quest for a Name, and actually feel
>> very responsible for this naming mess, for which I apologize.
>>
>> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>>
>> [ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
>> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)
>>

> Could you address the overlap with other ASF projects and podlings
> which are in similar technology space?

There are none doing Jini at this time.

> Why a new and distinct
> podling and not joining/helping them?

See above :)

> Also, I'm assuming graduation to TLP (I may have missed that
> in the proposal)?

Oh - whoops.  Yes, because we're asking for Incubator PMC as sponsor
(rather than another PMC), my expectation is that this will be a TLP.

geir

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> > [ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> > [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

+1

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 12/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> [ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

+1

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
> Incubator PMC vote to incubate a new podling, to be known as "River".
> You may be familiar with this project as it has been discussed under
> other names, including Braintree and Jini.  I've actually lost track of
> the Quest for a Name, and actually feel very responsible for this naming
> mess, for which I apologize.
>
> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>
> [X] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 12/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
> Incubator PMC vote to incubate a new podling, to be known as "River".
> You may be familiar with this project as it has been discussed under
> other names, including Braintree and Jini.  I've actually lost track of
> the Quest for a Name, and actually feel very responsible for this naming
> mess, for which I apologize.
>
> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>
> [X] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

Thanks!  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Note - this vote will be for 3 days, ending midnight, saturday december
23rd, 2006.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
+1 , glad we have come to this point.
--
Mark

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Sourcesense, making sense of Open Source: http://www.sourcesense.com

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.

Posted by Brian Murphy <Br...@Sun.COM>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :

+1 Accept River as a new podling as described below

Brian

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

-> richard

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by "Rollo, Dan" <DR...@ETS.ORG>.

 [ ] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below

+1

Dan Rollo (cloutless vote)

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Juan Ramirez <Ju...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> >> On Thursday 21 December 2006 11:46, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >>  [x] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> >>  [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

+0 on the River proposal.

On 12/21/06, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I've always hoped that someone would wish to call
> an ASF project "Fog"

I liked Braintree way better than River ;)  Too bad, but I'll live.

As to Fog: Apache Nebbia (fog in Italian) is a pretty cool name!
There's a saying in Italian that Stefano, Gianugo, Ugo, David W, or
others hanging out on this list might appreciate (and that I'm
probably mispelling):

Al inizio, Dio creo la Padana (in the beginning, God created la
Padana, the region in northern Italy)
Poi ci ripenso, e creo la nebbia (and then He thought better of it,
and created the fog)

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:47 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

>> On Thursday 21 December 2006 11:46, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>  [x] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
>>  [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)
>
> Good name too.

I've always hoped that someone would wish to call
an ASF project "Fog"

Think about it :)

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> Good name too.

'Apache River' is very close to 'Apache Rivet', but they are in
different areas, so hopefully won't get mixed up much.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
> On Thursday 21 December 2006 11:46, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>  [x] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
>  [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

Good name too.

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Phil

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :

[X] +1 Accept River as a new podling

- Bob

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1 (non-binding)

I think it's great that Apache will adopt this great technology...

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I gave it a few more days because of the Christmas holiday and
preparations.  The results :

+1 from Geir, Niclas, Phil, Henri, Bertrand, Jukka, Craig, David W,
Richard, Craig, Gianugo, Mark, Robert, Brian, Nigel, Dan C, Bob,
Noel, Juan, Justin, Jim H, Bill, Dan R, Jim Jagielski

+0 from Yoav

No other votes cast. (I hope I didn't miss anyone).

As we received an adequate number of +1 votes from Incubator PMC
members, this vote passes :)

I'll get the necessary infrastructure machinery going, staring with
the mail lists.

geir

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
> Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>
> [ X] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below
> [ ] -1 Do not accept the new podling (provide reason, please)

+1

:-)

-Jim

Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 12/21/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> ...Therefore, please vote on the proposal that follows :
>
> [ X] +1 Accept River as a new podling as described below...

-Bertrand

RE: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> It is with great relief and hope that I propose that the Apache
> Incubator PMC vote to incubate [the project formerly known as Jini]

No kidding!  And "it's about time!"  :-)

> You may be familiar with this project as it has been discussed under
> other names, including [Jini].

Yes, and I have been quite looking forward to its arrival at the ASF, thank
you very much.  :-)

> please vote on the proposal

+1

	--- Noel