Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David <ap...@bensonresearch.com> on 2004/03/30 23:26:04 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Windows: How to Get a Real Domain Pointing to My Server?

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 3:25 am, Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I've recently checked out the Windows HOSTS file and mapped a domain
>   to 127.0.0.1 with success. I own several domains in which I would
>   like to control from my own machine. What is the best procedure so
>   to map my real domains to my machine?
>
>   Links and additional information is sincerely appreciated!

You have to change the DNS entries to point to your IP address (which needs to
be static).  If you are pointing more than one domain at your IP address then
you will also need to setup Apache to do Virtual Hosting...

Chances are that the registrar you bought the domain names from is also
providing the DNS service so you will need to check with them to find out how
to change the IP address.  If your domains came as part of a hosting package
then you will need to contact your hosting company to find out what is
involved.  In either case, expect the DNS changes to take anywhere from a few
hours to a few days to complete...  I had one DNS change take a week before
it resolved to my IP...

You can learn more about configuring Virtual Hosts at:
(v1.3) http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html
(v2.0) http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/

Hope that helps,
DBenson