Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Dirk Weissenborn <di...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/04 16:49:15 UTC

GSOC 2012

Hey,

I just wanted to check whether or not mahout is applying for GSOC this year
again, because I would be interested in implementing another algorithm for
mahout or improve an existing one.

Regards,
Dirk

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 19.03.2012 Dirk Weissenborn wrote:
> What could be possible projects for this year?

General advise would be to look for open JIRA issues. There are a few known
issues with existing implementations. Also for some algorithms integration and
API design could be improved. In the end the general advise on how to contribute
and become a committer applies: Find a topic that you are yourself interested in
and work on that.

> Or should the student
> provide a proposal for an improvement?

From previous experience students who came up with their own proposals have been
most successful - both in applying but also in succeeding. Keep in mind to limit
the scope of your project to a manageable size: You can only design, test,
implement, document and provide examples for so much code.

> I would probably be interested in
> working on a project for this years GSOC. I am also currently in contact
> with dbpedia spotlight developers for GSOC. They are interested in a
> topical classifier for a given plaintext. I saw, that something similar was
> already implemented in mahout.

I think working on the intersection of two projects could be valuable for both
sides. Sounds like an interesting idea to me.

Isabel

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Dirk Weissenborn <di...@googlemail.com>.
What could be possible projects for this year? Or should the student
provide a proposal for an improvement? I would probably be interested in

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
I'd love to toss my name into the hat for this summer's mentors.

(sorry for the delay, just returned from a week in Morocco)

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Re: GSOC 2012

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I personally am not going to be doing GSOC this year, as I have committed cycles elsewhere, but others may be open to it.

-Grant

PS FWIW, I have an opening for internships at my company.

On Mar 4, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Dirk Weissenborn wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just wanted to check whether or not mahout is applying for GSOC this year
> again, because I would be interested in implementing another algorithm for
> mahout or improve an existing one.
>
> Regards,
> Dirk

Grant Ingersoll