Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2013/05/30 15:00:01 UTC

1.8.0 release timing

I've been working with the ASF's marketing team on the official Apache
Subversion 1.8.0 press release, and we're trying to get a feel for the
timing of the final release (and by extension, the press announcement).

This community posted 1.8.0-rc2 on Tuesday, May 14, with verification and
public release completing on Thursday, May 16.  While it's not precisely
spelled out in the Community Guide which of those two dates starts the soak
period, I'm going to assume it's the latter.  The point of the soak period
is to expose the code to the public for a period of time and arguably the
code isn't fully exposed until the release is verified and announced.  But
I'm happy to entertain alternative viewpoints here.

I am unaware of any soak-restart-worthy changes made to the branch since
that time.  As such, it would seem that if we were trying to minimize the
release schedule, we would need to release 1.8.0-rc3 -- final in all but
name -- on Thursday, June 6.  The final release then falls a week later on
Thursday, June 13.

I anticipate the signing/release of the final tarball to go extremely
quickly, especially for those who sign the rc3 tarball.  (Yup, checksums
match, diffs vs. rc3 are as expected and don't effect codepaths ... ship it!)

That's sorta the minimum-time scenario, of course.  Keeping in mind that
we'll have devs in transit between ${HOME} and Berlin at a pretty critical
time during this soak period, what, if any, plans do we *actually* have
regarding the timeline of this release?

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As noted elsewhere, press releases are ideally on a Tuesday. I'd really
> like
> >> to see the release/announce go out, coordinated, on a Tuesday.
> >
> > That's fine the release would need to be after the hackathon then.
> > Given that and Ivan's objection to doing testing during the hackathon
> > I'd suggest we plan for a release on the 18th.
>
> Heh, I wouldn't want to be the one finding a show-stopper after the
> party and before the release :-).
>
> That would just be an excuse to have another party later. :)

-Hyrum

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 05/30/2013 06:20 PM, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To actually release on that date you would still need to follow Mike's proposed schedule. It would just allow more time for the final signing. But it would still have to happen during the hackathon.
>
> Correct that was my intention, to increase the time frame a few days
> beyond the hackathon and push the release to a Tuesday.  Also keep in
> mind to have a Tuesday release we would need signatures in hand on
> Monday due to the 24 hour staging of the tarballs.  This necessarily
> means that people who don't want to test at the hackathon will have to
> test on the weekend following it.  If that's till a problem for them
> we could push the official release out to the 25th.  But quite
> honestly, I want to see 1.8.0 in the hands of users (baring any show
> stoppers) sooner rather than later.

+1

Besides, what is there /really/ to test?  The final tarball *should* be an
exact replica of the rc3 tarball modulo innocuous non-code changes and the
obvious tweaks to svn_version.h, right?  If rc3 builds and runs, I should
think that confirming that the final tarball builds and doesn't crash on
'svn --version --verbose' should be sufficient validation for most of us who
know the code.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On May 30, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As noted elsewhere, press releases are ideally on a Tuesday. I'd really like
>> to see the release/announce go out, coordinated, on a Tuesday.
>
> That's fine the release would need to be after the hackathon then.
> Given that and Ivan's objection to doing testing during the hackathon
> I'd suggest we plan for a release on the 18th.  That would provide a
> few days after the hackathon for anyone that didn't want to mess with
> the code on that day.  I'll be traveling so someone else will need to
> coordinate the final release, I'm not sure what sort of access I'll
> have.

To actually release on that date you would still need to follow Mike's proposed schedule. It would just allow more time for the final signing. But it would still have to happen during the hackathon.

+1 on that date though.

As a binary maintainer I would love to have the final release tarball in our hands for a longer time period before the announcement.

Mark

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
As noted elsewhere, press releases are ideally on a Tuesday. I'd really
like to see the release/announce go out, coordinated, on a Tuesday.

Cheers,
-g

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
My sincerest apologies for that crud at the end of my previous mail in
this thread. Someone decided just a couple hours ago that it's a good
idea to unconditionally add that mess to outgoing messages from a
particular domain, and so I'm no longer sending messages to this list
from that domain until it gets scraped off the walls.

-- Brane

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 30.05.2013 20:59, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 09:24:52AM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:
>>> I'll be flying to England on the 4th, so I should be able to roll the
>>> tarballs sometime late in the week proceeding the hackathon.  That
>>> would provide us most of the hackathon for devs to find the time to
>>> test/sign off.
>>>
>>> If we don't feel that's possible like I said I'm happy to shift things back.
>> Releasing during the hackathon seems like a great idea to me!
>> Barring any blocking issues, of course.
> Personally I don't like idea releasing 1.8.0 during hackathon: I
> prefer to spend hackathon to hack and chat instead of signing/testing
> release over VPN connection to access fast build severs.
>
> Also our company provides binary distribution of Subversion and this
> job also need my attention. That means less hacking and face to face
> discussions at least for me :(

Agreed -- let's have the release party in Berlin and /then/ make the
release. :)

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

THIS MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, AND MAY BE
PRIVILEGED.  If this message was misdirected, WANdisco, Inc. and its
subsidiaries, ("WANdisco") does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.
 If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and
destroy the message without disclosing its contents to anyone.  Any
distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains
by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.  The views and
opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the author's own and may not
reflect the views and opinions of WANdisco, unless the author is authorized
by WANdisco to express such views or opinions on its behalf.  All email
sent to or from this address is subject to electronic storage and review by
WANdisco.  Although WANdisco operates anti-virus programs, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever caused by viruses being
passed.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

CTO | VisualSVN | http://www.visualsvn.com

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Re: 1.8.0 release timing

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> This community posted 1.8.0-rc2 on Tuesday, May 14, with verification and
> public release completing on Thursday, May 16.  While it's not precisely
> spelled out in the Community Guide which of those two dates starts the soak
> period, I'm going to assume it's the latter.  The point of the soak period
> is to expose the code to the public for a period of time and arguably the
> code isn't fully exposed until the release is verified and announced.  But
> I'm happy to entertain alternative viewpoints here.

Right I was fudging on the 4 weeks a bit to try and make the release
happen during the hackathon (obviously if there were significant
issues that would delay the release and prevent that entirely).  If
there are objections to that I'm happy to delay it into the following
week.  However, I'm also going to be on vacation the reset of June
after the hackathon.  So someone else may need to finish up the
release.

> I am unaware of any soak-restart-worthy changes made to the branch since
> that time.  As such, it would seem that if we were trying to minimize the
> release schedule, we would need to release 1.8.0-rc3 -- final in all but
> name -- on Thursday, June 6.  The final release then falls a week later on
> Thursday, June 13.

Release date was set for Friday, June 14th.  However, we would need to
have everything ready to go and staged on the 13th due to the 24 hour
delay for mirroring.

> I anticipate the signing/release of the final tarball to go extremely
> quickly, especially for those who sign the rc3 tarball.  (Yup, checksums
> match, diffs vs. rc3 are as expected and don't effect codepaths ... ship it!)

Agreed.