Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Yann <yl...@ims.ltd.uk> on 2000/07/26 13:02:42 UTC

Brainstorming: design question (XSLT)

Hi Cocooners,

Well, normally, you'd use Cocoon for dynamic web sites (which I have done).

But this time, I need to transform data into different documents using an
"extraction" program. I used VB to do that (yeah I know...). But I don't
want to rely on MS XML tools because they are too linked to IE5.

A user will run a program and generate an XML file from a DB query. This XML
document will then be transformed into HTML files or other formats.

The thing is, I want to transform 1 XML file into N documents (N being the
number of pages to generate). And of course, each document will link to
others using previous/next links.

Shall I use Cocoon or shall I just use Xerces for that?

Also, how do I generate N documents using XSLT from 1 document? Do I have to
transform sub portions of the XML file after the other, programatically so I
can link them to each other properly (by knowing which current page I am
transforming)?

Can some of you guys have a little brainstorming about it? I know there are
plenty of ways to achieve this but as usual, I want the "smarter" one.

Regards,

Yann.

Re: Brainstorming: design question (XSLT)

Posted by Yann <yl...@ims.ltd.uk>.
>What other formats?

Could be OpenTV or some HTML for Cable&Wireless digital TV. Bottom lin is: I
want to plug the look&feel at the later stage.

>One (fairly) easy way of accomplishing this is by using mode attributes for
the main nodes you will process differently in your XSLT.  Then you template
match the various modes you chose and define different templates for your
various output situations.  This could be a simpler approach than trying
multiple transformations before your final output.

How would that generate N output files?
And what do you mean by "mode attribute"?

Thanks,