Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2016/08/25 18:44:07 UTC

Re: Setting JIRA fix versions for 3.0.0 releases

Sean gave me some pointers on using Java ACC, I've made a report using the
script I've been working on at YETUS-445:

http://home.apache.org/~wang/h3/report.html

Invocation was something like this:

-> % ~/dev/yetus/check-java-compatibility/checkjavacompatibility.py
--annotation org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceAudience.Public
--annotation
org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceAudience.LimitedPrivate --include
"hadoop.*" branch-2.7.2 trunk

I think this report is easier to consume than JDiff. If we like it, I can
generate one for 2.7.2 -> 2.8.0, and it should be easy to automate via
Jenkins as well.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
I've taken a look at the Common and HDFS compat issues.

* A bunch of them are from the known removals of the deprecated Metrics 1
and RCC. JACC understands and can filter @Deprecated annotations, but
HADOOP-7266 isn't in 2.7.2, and apparently JACC doesn't look at the class
annotation when telling you some methods were removed. Filed:
https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker/issues/33
* The tool doesn't detect when you add a type parameter to a
super-interface, which I think is compatible. Filed a JACC issue:
https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker/issues/32
* It did find HDFS-10793, a legit audit logger issue which is an issue for
2.8.0 also. Manoj is closing on this, we're just waiting on a precommit run
before committing.

This list also includes LimitedPrivate classes, so things like DU and
KerberosName show up here too. I think it's good to check LimitedPrivate
too since practically speaking many of these should be Public, but I can
generate a Public only report if desired.

If someone wants to take a look at the YARN changes, that'd be swell. Since
things overall look good though, I'm going get back to rebranching for
3.0.0-alpha1 and the corresponding fix version updates.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.