Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2018/01/22 17:08:54 UTC

Requesting HW CI/CD support for alternative platforms

Hi there,

<puts on Apache CouchDB PMC hat>

There have been multiple requests recently to add additional platform
support for CouchDB convenience binaries, especially Docker images.

We'd love to add these, but it's only responsible for us to do so if we
are regularly testing on these platforms. And per advice from the Docker
project, it is not recommended to rely solely on qemu for xplat testing
purposes.[1]

Currently, the only hardware the ASF has available to us for testing are
amd64 and arm64v8 systems.

To fill the outstanding community requests, we are requesting donation
of compute resources on the following platforms:

* arm32v7/v8
* ppc64le
* s390x

We know we have outstanding bugs on some of these platforms. Without
proper regular access to them, we simply cannot address them in a timely
and appropriate fashion.

The expectation is that we are able to run a Jenkins build agent on
these machines, and have the ability to install software packages as
necessary. This could be inside of a chroot, docker container or
similar, should you not wish to trust the ASF infrastructure team and
the Apache CouchDB PMC with root on your box.

I'm excited about this opportunity for CouchDB's CI family to grow.  But
for it to happen, we need your help.

Please give generously!

-Joan

[1] https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/3851#issuecomment-358507869

Re: Requesting HW CI/CD support for alternative platforms

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Please contact me directly, off-list, if you have computing resources
you'd like to contribute to the project. :)

-Joan

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michelle Phung <mi...@gmail.com>.
How to donate?