Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net> on 2009/12/03 06:43:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

All,

I want to build Apache 2.2.14 without any referrence to IPv6. I have removed IPv6 support from the Kernel, because I find it useless on a small home LAN.

How would I tell apr to leave out IPv6 when compiling?

Thanks,
Daniel Reinhardt

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Daniel Reinhardt
<cr...@cryptodan.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> I want to build Apache 2.2.14 without any referrence to IPv6. I have removed
> IPv6 support from the Kernel, because I find it useless on a small home LAN.
>
> How would I tell apr to leave out IPv6 when compiling?

The first question is why do you want to do this? And why, If this is
just a small home LAN are you even compiling apache yourself.
(And actually IPv6 can be very usefull on a home lan, but that's another story)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.
* Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net> [2009-12-04 09:31]:
> Its like how Linux/Unix Distribution Creaters forcing IPv6 in a
> kernel when someone may not have a need for it or find it useless.
> They should instead build their distributions with IPv4 enabled by
> default, and include a IPv6 enabled Kernel for those who want to use
> it.

Applying that same argument to any part of the kernel or network stack
someone out there might have no use for, how many kernel images a
distribution might have? This is of course not only absurd, it also
ignores loadable modules support in the kernel.

As to your suggestion for httpd (to stay at least slightly on-topic):
Sure there's a tension between "secure by default" (whoever still
claims this these days) and "lots of useful features enabled by
default", but since not binding httpd to IPv6 interfaces it is
trivially easy (as has been pointed out), why ruin it for everyone
else who might need it? (Should they all need to recompile? Or, again,
should distributions ship gazillion prepackaged versions of httpd,
each with a different set of enabled features?).

Also defaults are a bikeshed.
-peter

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Daniel Reinhardt wrote:
> [...]

No, it isn't.

IPv6 defines an entire set of improved DNS interrogation techniques which
are vastly superior to the original, IPv4/Posix subset.  getaddrinfo()
and getnameinfo() don't exist without IPv6 'support'.  That support doesn't
have to include a single binding to an adapter, but those functions are part
of the IPv6 'spec'.

If you want to continue to belabor your arguments, this is a users list.
I'm sure other users will entertain your dialog.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Tom Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Krist van Besien
> <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Hello, I'd like to stop receiving messages about Christianity"
>>> "Ooh, no, you just dont understand how great Christianity is going to
>>> be for you..."
>> How about someone asking "I'm looking for an alternative to
>> Christianity because I want to be allowed to eat pork". What would you
>> consider a usefull answer to such a question :-)
>>
>> Krist
>>

> Church of the SubGenius, gotta be :)

No way, you pagan.
Here is the (one and only) truth : http://www.venganza.org/

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
<kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Hello, I'd like to stop receiving messages about Christianity"
>> "Ooh, no, you just dont understand how great Christianity is going to
>> be for you..."
>
> How about someone asking "I'm looking for an alternative to
> Christianity because I want to be allowed to eat pork". What would you
> consider a usefull answer to such a question :-)
>
> Krist

Church of the SubGenius, gotta be :)

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.
* Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com> [2009-12-06 14:13]:
> What does APR stand for?

http://apr.apache.org/

-peter

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com>.
Everyone stop the Christian bashing. No one would dare say these
things about Islam :(

Zach

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@six-group.com>.

Har har... It's posts like this (and Kirst's one last week about the
power cut) that make this list such a hoot! Please renew my
subscription.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Cheers
>
> Tom

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.
> What would be really helpful here is a comparison table, listing (as
> rows) the various things you are/are not allowed to do, and as columns
> the various religions.  Then you could just check yes/no at the
> intersections.  That would make the choice easier.

Any chance of getting this back onto Apache related stuff?

--
73
-------------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> "Hello, I'd like to stop receiving messages about Christianity"
> "Ooh, no, you just dont understand how great Christianity is going to
> be for you..."

How about someone asking "I'm looking for an alternative to
Christianity because I want to be allowed to eat pork". What would you
consider a usefull answer to such a question :-)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think everyone is being a bit harsh on this guy. All he wanted was
> to disable IPv6, which is understandable. There have been OS
> vulnerabilities that have been exposed in IPv4 only when IPv6 is
> enabled (IIRC), so if the guy wants to run without IPv6, let him.
> There is no need for this animosity or evangelism.
>
> Disabling IPv6 is an option for both APR and apache, this user wanted
> help with those options, and mostly got abuse. If you don't think it
> was abuse, swap the words IPv6 for a religion of your choice.

What does APR stand for?

> "Hello, I'd like to stop receiving messages about Christianity"
> "Ooh, no, you just dont understand how great Christianity is going to
> be for you..."

You damn atheist! ;-)

Zach

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 4-Dec-2009, at 07:47, Jorge Medina wrote:
> What a nasty member of the user list!

Nah, just a bad case of myopia.

--
BUGS: There is no conversion specification for the phase of the
	moon." strftime(3) man page

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Jorge Medina <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.
It was thus said that the Great Daniel Reinhardt once stated:

> ISPs will soon
> >start to provide their customers with routers that support IPv6, so
> >this is in my opinion a wise decision. It's a bit like TV
> >manucfaturers including a DVB-T tuner in their offerings, even though
> >most people don't have a need for it, yet.
> >
> >Krist
> >

> And until that day happens, then Linux Distributions should leave IPv6
> disabled until such a day arises.

  I've been using Linux since 1996 and *all* the distributions come with
stuff I don't care to have (any number of window managers, none of which are
window managers I care to use so I end up having to install my preferred
one).  Yes, I would love for the distributions not to include such packages,
but what I don't like someone else does.

  And I, for one, *am* playing around with IPv6 on my home network, so I
don't mind IPv6 being installed.  I do, however, with KDE and Gnome wasn't,
as I don't use those.  Yet there they are, installed and ready to go.

  I also fail to understand why you are so insistent upon removing IPv6.  My
home router can't deal with IPv6 either, but the fact that the four computers
I have on my network support IPv6 hasn't been an issue.  Yes, I can
understand not liking the space it takes up on the kernel (on my Linux
system, it reports taking up 242,657 bytes) and removing it if not needed,
but the IPv6 support in other applications isn't quite as large.  I removed
IPv6 support from a program I wrote---only 70 lines of code removed (removed
command line options, usage statement, anything at all related to support of
IPv6) and the savings between the two versions:  1,287 bytes (and that's
with full debugging support and a non-optimized compilation).

  Also, looking on my system, I see that sshd, X and DNS are using IPv6.
Have you checked all the other programs on your system?

  -spc

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by Daniel Reinhardt <cr...@cryptodan.net>.
ISPs will soon

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Daniel Reinhardt
<cr...@cryptodan.net> wrote:

> Actually it has everything to do with it.  IPv6 is useless to me on a small
> HOME LAN of 5 computers.  It should be disabled by default, and an allowable
> option by those who wish to use IPv6.  It shouldn't be forced down peoples
> throats.  Its like how Linux/Unix Distribution Creaters forcing IPv6 in a
> kernel when someone may not have a need for it or find it useless.  They
> should instead build their distributions with IPv4 enabled by default, and
> include a IPv6 enabled Kernel for those who want to use it.  As such so
> should software developers, they should create their software and distribute
> it with default settings enabled, such as ipv6 being disabled unless wanted
> by the end-user.  Those who desire IPv6 functionality should be the only
> ones wanting to compile their software and kernels with such goals in mind.

It's not forced down your throat. You can safely ignore IPv6 if you're
not using it. Even if your linux machine enables IPv6 by default, and
starts and IPv6 interface you don't have to worry about things
breaking because of it. If your router doesn't route IPv6 you still
don't have to worry about some devices in your network bringing up
IPv6 interfaces.

Linux disrtro maintainers include IPv6 because the aim is to provide a
kernel that everyone can use, without having to recompile. Another aim
is to incourage people to actually start using IPv6. ISPs will soon
start to provide their customers with routers that support IPv6, so
this is in my opinion a wise decision. It's a bit like TV
manucfaturers including a DVB-T tuner in their offerings, even though
most people don't have a need for it, yet.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

>> Krist I prefer IPv4 addressing. I can remember 128.2.10.12 but I can't
>> remember some insane IPv6 hexadecimal address! lol. And I love my
>> commands such as ping, traceroute, dig, host, nslookup etc.
>
> This has nothing to do with why to enable IPv6 in APR.

Actually it has everything to do with it.  IPv6 is useless to me on a small
HOME LAN of 5 computers.  It should be disabled by default, and an allowable
option by those who wish to use IPv6.  It shouldn't be forced down peoples
throats.  Its like how Linux/Unix Distribution Creaters forcing IPv6 in a
kernel when someone may not have a need for it or find it useless.  They
should instead build their distributions with IPv4 enabled by default, and
include a IPv6 enabled Kernel for those who want to use it.  As such so
should software developers, they should create their software and distribute
it with default settings enabled, such as ipv6 being disabled unless wanted
by the end-user.  Those who desire IPv6 functionality should be the only
ones wanting to compile their software and kernels with such goals in mind.

> Look, the IPv6 API is far superior to the standard posix IPv4 functions.
> IGNORE the danged IPv6 addresses, that isn't the point!!!

It maybe "far superior" in your needs, but for me it isn't.

> To make Apache httpd speak only IPv4 is trivial.  Replace
>
>  Listen 80
>
> with a sensible
>
>  Listen 0.0.0.0:80
>
> which tells httpd to listen only on IPv4 adapters, all of them, on their
> respective port 80's.  And unless you tell it otherwise, it WON'T attempt
> to listen on any IPv6 adapters.

I tried the above with no avail, and infact Apache failed to listen on IPv4
port 80 as one would hope.   It still showed up as listening on the IPv6
interface via netstat -anp | grep 80.  With no mention of 0.0.0.0:80 in
netstat.

> And if IPv6 confuses you, PLEASE take a minute to look at :: syntax :)

If the reasoning behind me wanting to disable IPv6 on my network and on my
system's confuse you, then please take your leave.  I came here for help
regarding IPv6 and how to disable it in my environment.  I didn't want
testimonials of why it is great, and why I should be converted.  I do not
like not so well adopted protocols being enabled by default on my systems of
which I control.

My issue has been solved with due diligence, and due process on my part
getting help from this mailing lists.

Thank you,
Daniel

Re: [users@httpd] Building Apache 2.2 without IPv6

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Daniel Reinhardt
<cr...@cryptodan.net> wrote:
> Krist,
>
> First of all I came here for help with disabling IPv6 not a testimony from
> other users on how useful it is for a small LAN.
>
> Give me one good reason why IPv6 is useful for a small home LAN where I can
> use 192.168.0.0/16 and have more IP's then I can use.

IPv6 offers a lot more than just more IP addresses. One of the goals
is also to improve network autoconfiguration so network devices can
truly be "plug and play". Wich is a good feature to have for people
who don't want to be network admins, but still have a complex home
network. There are allready media streaming devices on the market that
rely on this.

> I want to do this so all my daemons are listening on IPv4, so that my Home
> Router can deal with it as it doesn't support IPv4 over IPv6 and vice versa.

You don't need to recompile apache if that is all you want. You can
safely ignore Apache's IPv6 capabilities.
This is why your request sounded a bit unusual to me.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org