Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> on 2016/03/01 03:56:05 UTC

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

The feature is definitely not abandoned -- we have few sizable customers at
PB scale that I can recall off the top of my head that have been using it
for over 8-12 months in the version backported to CDH (we backported an
early version back in oct/14 (CDH5.2), and updated with the recent more
recent changes in roughly may/15 (CDH5.4).   These are used primarily to
store documents -- think PDF files. They are pretty happy -- the customer
reported that it was slightly slower on the write side (10-15%) than a
competing system but significantly faster on the read side (3x-4x
throughput).

Over the holidays we shook out a semi-rare data loss issue with mob
compaction that had this as the root cause[1] -- (since pointers are only
stored in the "normal hfiles" the volume of datas on this case was fairly
large).

We've been working on trying to get at least one of them to present at
hbasecon, but I'm not reviewing submissions this year and don't know if
they made it or not.

Jon.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-15035

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> We've been working on trying to get at least one of them to present at
> hbasecon, but I'm not reviewing submissions this year and don't know if
> they made it or not.
>
> This did not happen. The use case is to surface in another forum soon
though....
St.Ack

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Jon:
Mind taking a look at this attachment for list of commits (in case I missed
any):

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12791047/mob-cmmits.txt

Thanks

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
Sounds good to me, Jonathan. Although I suspect that at the end this will be close to what Ted Yu has in the backport patch but this is a more structured / reliable way of doing it. When you say this - "backport the patches that came after the merge to trunk....", is there a reliable way to identify all those. In the backport jira, there is a mention of some additional jiras after the original merge - https://goo.gl/6stN7Y - we need to make sure if these are the only ones relevant.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Branch development with later merge vote is another way to get at review of
change provenance in digestible bits as I suggested. +1 from me

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: MOB in branch-1? (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
Stack, as things stand, Ted Yu has a patch that is a backport of MOB. He told me offline he has taken a look at the jiras that went in in the master that is to do with MOB, and got them in the backport. Now, to your point, I agree that someone familiar with MOB code should do the backport but the question is, is that dev available to do it now? The next best thing is to get Ted Yu's patch reviewed by someone familiar with the feature. I really hope that we can get cycles from the original MOB devs on this.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
(Doing another resend...)

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.