Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/04/05 22:28:10 UTC

[C2] I have moved ComponentManagement framework to Avalon

I placed Cocoon's ComponentManagement framework in Avalon so
that it can benefit the widest audience.  It was so generic
and powerful, that it begged to be incorporated in Avalon.

The new location for the classes is now:

org.apache.avalon.component.Default*

The reason for that package is in anticipation of Avalon's
moving to 4.0 beta 1 in May (rough guestimate, mileage may
vary, etc.).  That move will restructure the Avalon package
into a more manageable heirarchy, and will *Remain static*.
This is a feature that is highly desireable.

We are all looking forward to Avalon's API finally being
settled, and it will help Cocoon and users of Cocoon in
the long run.

Re: [C2] I have moved ComponentManagement framework to Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 04:28  5/04/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >I placed Cocoon's ComponentManagement framework in Avalon so
> >that it can benefit the widest audience.  It was so generic
> >and powerful, that it begged to be incorporated in Avalon.
> >
> >The new location for the classes is now:
> >
> >org.apache.avalon.component.Default*
> >
> >The reason for that package is in anticipation of Avalon's
> >moving to 4.0 beta 1 in May (rough guestimate, mileage may
> >vary, etc.).  That move will restructure the Avalon package
> >into a more manageable heirarchy, and will *Remain static*.
> >This is a feature that is highly desireable.
>
> Could we move RoleInfo->RoleManager as Info is a term I use through the
> code base to refer to data relating to component and its constituents (ie
> BeanInfo/BlockInfo). Also the method name changes to make as clear as rain
> ;) Like what you posted before
>
> public interface RoleManager
> {
>     /**
>      * Gets the Role for the shorthand name.
>      */
>     String getRoleForName(String name);
>
>     /**
>      * Get default implementation class for role
>      */
>     String getDefaultClassNameForRole(String role);
> }
> Cheers,

Not a problem.  Can do tomorrow

Re: [C2] I have moved ComponentManagement framework to Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

At 04:28  5/04/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I placed Cocoon's ComponentManagement framework in Avalon so
>that it can benefit the widest audience.  It was so generic
>and powerful, that it begged to be incorporated in Avalon.
>
>The new location for the classes is now:
>
>org.apache.avalon.component.Default*
>
>The reason for that package is in anticipation of Avalon's
>moving to 4.0 beta 1 in May (rough guestimate, mileage may
>vary, etc.).  That move will restructure the Avalon package
>into a more manageable heirarchy, and will *Remain static*.
>This is a feature that is highly desireable.

Could we move RoleInfo->RoleManager as Info is a term I use through the
code base to refer to data relating to component and its constituents (ie
BeanInfo/BlockInfo). Also the method name changes to make as clear as rain
;) Like what you posted before

public interface RoleManager
{
    /**
     * Gets the Role for the shorthand name.
     */
    String getRoleForName(String name);

    /**
     * Get default implementation class for role
     */
    String getDefaultClassNameForRole(String role);
}
Cheers,

Pete