Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2020/04/06 23:44:58 UTC

Re: sources repository for taglibs-standard-impl/specs-1.2.5-migrated-0.0.1

Hi
This weekend I have started running this on a server

svn2git https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/taglibs/standard/

It may take few days to finish...

Working with a svndump might be easier. Do you know if INFRA can provide
this?

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 20:58, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 20:01, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 27/03/2020 04:58, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > We have to move this https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/taglibs/
>> > to git.
>> > As it's few separate Maven projects, maybe we could create one git repo
>> > per project:
>> > - https://github.com/apache/tomcat-taglibs-site
>> > - https://github.com/apache/tomcat-taglibs-standard (standard-examples
>> > can be integrated in standard source tree but not part of the release
>> > just here for documentation purpose)
>> > - https://github.com/apache/tomcat-taglibs-parent
>> >
>> > - https://github.com/apache/tomcat-taglibs can contain some modules to
>> > ease clone of only git repo (or maybe we simply put the site here) I
>> > don't have strong opinion for this
>> >
>> > Do we still need rdc?
>>
>> The above seems reasonable to me but I have never worked on taglibs so
>> my opinion shouldn't count for much.
>>
>> > during the migration each tags/branches (if any) will be integrated in
>> > the created git repo
>>
>> This is the bit that interests me. I know from experience with previous
>> Tomcat projects that the svn -> git migration for a project that has
>> previously gone through an cvs -> svn migration is very slow. It took
>> over a week to process the Tomcat Connectors project. This is because
>> the migration tool ends up searching back through the history repeatedly
>> for each tag.
>>
>> I might be able to help put by running the migration directly on one of
>> the ASF servers. I'll need to talk to infra if we want to try that route.
>>

> Great. Let me know if you need any help?
>

>> Mark

> Olivier Lamy

Olivier Lamy

Re: sources repository for taglibs-standard-impl/specs-1.2.5-migrated-0.0.1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Just in case I created rdc as well https://github.com/olamy/taglibs-rdc

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 10:53, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> >         integrated in
>> >         > the created git repo
>> >
>> >         This is the bit that interests me. I know from experience with
>> >         previous
>> >         Tomcat projects that the svn -> git migration for a project
>> that has
>> >         previously gone through an cvs -> svn migration is very slow. It
>> >         took
>> >         over a week to process the Tomcat Connectors project. This is
>> >         because
>> >         the migration tool ends up searching back through the history
>> >         repeatedly
>> >         for each tag.
>> >
>> >         I might be able to help put by running the migration directly on
>> >         one of
>> >         the ASF servers. I'll need to talk to infra if we want to try
>> >         that route.
>> >

>> >     Great. Let me know if you need any help?

Olivier Lamy

Re: sources repository for taglibs-standard-impl/specs-1.2.5-migrated-0.0.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/04/2020 01:53, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi
> Migration results are available here:
> - https://github.com/olamy/taglibs-standard
> - https://github.com/olamy/taglibs-parent
> - https://github.com/olamy/taglibs-site
>
> Please note taglibs-standard include some strange tags probably coming
> from csv2svn migration but they were already there in svn.

They did originate from that time frame. They look consistent with the
naming convention used by Sun for Java work at that time so I think they
are correct. I'd leave them as is.

> Let me know if you are ok with that and I can creation of the git repos
> under the ASF namespace.

LGTM.

Thanks for taking care of this.

Mark