Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Reza Mostafid <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/30 12:56:50 UTC

403 Forbidden error when testing 'mod_dav_svn' enabled apache

Hi all,

I just managed to build http-2.2.3 and subversion-1.3.2
I have figured out the configuration ( install http first
then point svn's ./configure to where the apxs script is )

I wind up with a neat make and install resulting in the
mod_dav_svn.so and mod_authz_svn.so files to be built and
installed in http's /modules directory and the neccessary
lines inserted into httpd.conf

The Problem and what I observe:
===============================

* Firing up apache works fine. No errors.

* apachectl -M shows the svn modules are loaded as shared.

* I can test the server with the built in Firefox browser
  and I get the 'It works!' message.

* When I try to view the repository in the browser via
  http://localhost/repos I get an error:

  '403 Forbidden
   You don't have permission to access /repos on this server'

* When I try to list the repo contents using the svn client
  I have just built via http:

  # svn list http://localhost/repos

  I get

  # svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos'
  # svn: PROPFIND of '/repos' : 403 Forbidden ( http://localhost )

What I've tried and checked:
============================

I have checked the obvious such as setting permissions etc.

* The server runs as 'daemon' and the repo has been chown'ed
  ( -R ) recursively to 'daemon'

* The necessary directives are there in the httpd.conf file
  right after the LoadModule directives:

  <Location /repos>
     DAV svn
     SVNParentPath <my own repository path>
  </Location>

* The apache source tree was configured with

  ./configure --enable-mods-shared='all dav_lock'

* The svn source tree was configured with

  ./configure --with-apxs=<path to apxs script in http's bin>

What I am running:
==================

I am running Fedora Core 5 and have installed and configured SVN
before and I have been able to successfully access the repos over
a network throught the dav_svn enabled apache server.

I installed the SVN and http from tarballs

    http-2.2.3.tar.gz
    subversion-1.3.2.tar.gz

Thanks in advance for any forthcomming hints or suggestions

Regards

darbehdar

Re: 403 Forbidden error when testing 'mod_dav_svn' enabled apache

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 5, 2006, at 01:08, Reza Mostafid wrote:

> On 10/1/06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 30, 2006, at 07:56, Reza Mostafid wrote:
>>
>> > * Firing up apache works fine. No errors.
>> >
>> > * apachectl -M shows the svn modules are loaded as shared.
>> >
>> > * I can test the server with the built in Firefox browser
>> >  and I get the 'It works!' message.
>>
>> That message is of course from Apache, not the Subversion module.
>>

>> > * When I try to view the repository in the browser via
>> >  http://localhost/repos I get an error:
>> >
>> >  '403 Forbidden
>> >   You don't have permission to access /repos on this server'
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> > * The necessary directives are there in the httpd.conf file
>> >  right after the LoadModule directives:
>> >
>> >  <Location /repos>
>> >     DAV svn
>> >     SVNParentPath <my own repository path>
>> >  </Location>
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> <my own repository path> is the path to the repository, or the path
>> to a directory containing several repositories? If the former, then
>> you need SVNPath, not SVNParentPath.
>
> I do realize the 'It works' comes from the ?.hml file in the htdocs/
> dir under the 'Document Root' of Apache.
>
> Next thing is the SVNParentPath directive. Here again I do realize
> that 'SVNPath' is for redirecting a URL to a single repository and
> 'SVNParentPath' is for multiple repositories.
>
> I have already done a YUM update which placed the *.so files neatly
> where they belong to and even added a 'subversion.conf' file to
> Fedora's preinstalled httpd conf/ directory.
>
> I further configured that setup to work over the network and could get
> Tortoise and IntelliJIDEA to work flawlessly with the Linux Apache
> based server. I even successfully experimineted with the authorization
> and access control features.
>
> What puzzlesz me is that when building Apache & subversion myself, the
> build proceeds in an apparantly flawless manner, and the httpd works
> fine when accessing ordinary *.html files but no access to the
> repository is permitted as already described in the previous post.
>
> In other words I have checked all the pobvious things ( permissions,
> paths, spelling etc. ) and only then did I fire-up the e-mail to send
> this post.
>
> Can you think of anything that might cause the 403 ERROR when
> accessing the repos?

Let's keep the discussion on the mailing list so others can benefit
from it.

Have you looked in the Apache error log? This should tell you what
file or directory it thinks you don't have access to. Maybe this will
point you to a misconfiguration.

Check also that Apache has permissions to read the repository and its
parent directories.

Re: 403 Forbidden error when testing 'mod_dav_svn' enabled apache

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.