Posted to community@apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com> on 2003/12/18 00:35:52 UTC

[Humor] robot.txt

http://www.superbad.com/robots.txt

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:44:30 +0100
Santiago Gala wrote:

> >> http://www.superbad.com/robots.txt
> > ... :-)  Poetic!
> If you find this poetic, you will no doubt enjoy the Cyberiad
> (Stanislaw Lem). An excellent book. I remember specially the story
> where a psychiatric for robots is described, with a hypochondriac robot
> carrying a cart with spares.

Great! Thank you for the info.

To tell the truth, now I am thinking of our "brain"s.
(I am calling myself as "brain-net explorer" .. :-)

"Can robot (computer) have its EMOTIONs?" etc...
# The answer would be NO.
So, I felt that description (robot.txt) very "poetic" and "meaningful".

1. Current Computer is able to replace our left-side cerebral cortex
    (Brain for calculation -- 1+1 => 2 styled calc)
2. Quantum Computer will be able to relace our right-side
    cerebral cortex
    (Brain for innovation/imagination -- 2 => 1+1 styled calc)

Cerebral cortex is the part of our brain, which makes us "human beings".
(Other animals can not "count" (calculate) because they do not need such
abilities in order to Conserve Species. "Identification"/"Organization"
and communication abilities would be enough for them to do it)
On the other hand, limbic system (left-side and right-side) is "animals'
brain) ... I do not know / I can not imagine what will be able to
replace our limbic system.

So, "How robot can recognize itself as robot" is really interesting
issue for me. -- meaningful

Regards,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El sábado, 20 dici, 2003, a las 18:51 Europe/Madrid, Ben Laurie
escribió:

> I vastly prefer "The Futurological Congress", myself. And not just
> because of the papalshooter (it was in that book, right?).

Great book.

and "The Investigation" (and "The Chain of Chance", very similar), both
made my mind actually bend  :-)

I notice that I have read most of his translated works.

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
> For the record, Stanislaw Lem is my favorite (by far) sciense fiction
>  writer... And if you ever got to see the original Tarkovsky's
> Solaris (in Russian) movie, that's really good too :-)

And I was going to say that the only thing more boring than Solaris the
book was the movie (yes, I do mean the original one, haven't seen the
remake). And I like Lem, mostly :-)

I vastly prefer "The Futurological Congress", myself. And not just
because of the papalshooter (it was in that book, right?).

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:19:55 -0500
Serge Knystautas wrote:

> >> The last one isn't correct. The originator of the word "robot"
> >> was a czech guy named Karel Capek:
> >>  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/projects/actipret/robot.html
> "robota--" in slavic languages means "to work", so whether from Russian,
> Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, etc..., it's all the same source.

Aha. Makes sense. Thank you, folks.

labor -> raborta -> robota ... -> robot
... nice transformation/transliteration. ;-)

--

By the way, we (japanese) can not distinguish "r" from "l",
because our language does not have such a difference.

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Ben Laurie wrote:
> Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
>
>> Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>>> Stanislaw Lem was actually Polish. And has anyone mentioned he coined
>>> the word "robot" (it's Polish for "worker").
>>
>> The last one isn't correct. The originator of the word "robot"
>> was a czech guy named Karel Capek:
>>  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/projects/actipret/robot.html

"robota--" in slavic languages means "to work", so whether from Russian,
Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, etc..., it's all the same source.

--
Serge Knystautas
President
Lokitech >>> software . strategy . design >> http://www.lokitech.com
p. 301.656.5501
e. sergek@lokitech.com

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Joerg Pietschmann wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> Stanislaw Lem was actually Polish. And has anyone mentioned he coined
>> the word "robot" (it's Polish for "worker").
>

> The last one isn't correct. The originator of the word "robot"
> was a czech guy named Karel Capek:
>  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/projects/actipret/robot.html

Cool! Thanks.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Joerg Pietschmann <pi...@apache.org>.
Ben Laurie wrote:
> Stanislaw Lem was actually Polish. And has anyone mentioned he coined
> the word "robot" (it's Polish for "worker").

The last one isn't correct. The originator of the word "robot"
was a czech guy named Karel Capek:
  http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/projects/actipret/robot.html

J.Pietschmann

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:07:04 -0500 (EST)
(Subject: Re: [Humor]  robot.txt)
Gregory \(Grisha\) Trubetskoy wrote:

> For the record, Stanislaw Lem is my favorite (by far) sciense fiction
> writer... And if you ever got to see the original Tarkovsky's Solaris (in
> Russian) movie, that's really good too :-)

HmHm (memo). I found it that some of his/her science fictions have been
translated into our language (japanese) by our Russian teacher
when I was in the university. -- i learned Russian as a second
foreign language.

Unfortunately, it seems that "Cyberiad" is running out of stock
at amazon.co.jp (sad).
Maybe, there are some other interesting science fictions. Thank you.

--

By the way, The "ASTRO BOY" was born in this year (2003),
-- hero of one of the most famous japanimations ... ;-)

Regards,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
For the record, Stanislaw Lem is my favorite (by far) sciense fiction
writer... And if you ever got to see the original Tarkovsky's Solaris (in
Russian) movie, that's really good too :-)

Grisha

Re: [Humor] robot.txt

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [Humor] robot.txt