Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2021/10/01 15:47:26 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.

The notable changes compared to 8.5.71 are:

- Further robustness improvements to HTTP/2 flow control window
    management

- Fix an issue that caused some Servlet non-blocking API reads of the
    HTTP request body to incorrectly use blocking IO.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.72
53c394049af76032bc7acab9de023013ad4fdc43

The proposed 8.5.72 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.72 (stable)

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

 > The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
 >
 > The notable changes compared to 8.5.71 are:
 >
 > - Further robustness improvements to HTTP/2 flow control window
 >     management
 >
 > - Fix an issue that caused some Servlet non-blocking API reads of the
 >     HTTP request body to incorrectly use blocking IO.
 >
 > Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
 >
 > For full details, see the changelog:
 > https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
 >
 > It can be obtained from:
 > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/
 > The Maven staging repo is:
 > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
 > The tag is:
 > https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.72
 > 53c394049af76032bc7acab9de023013ad4fdc43
 >
 > The proposed 8.5.72 release is:
 > [ ] Broken - do not release
 > [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.72 (stable)

Works with applications in a test environment. Unit tests pass on
Windows 10, Linux, and Macos.

Linus environment details:

NOTE: Failed tests below are expected to fail in this environment.

* Environment
*  Java (build):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     openjdk version "1.8.0_292" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0+deb9u1-b10) OpenJDK 64-Bit
Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Linux 4.19.0-17-amd64 x86_64
*  cc:       cc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
*  make:     GNU Make 4.2.1
*  OpenSSL:  OpenSSL 1.1.1 11 Sep 2018
*  APR:      1.6.5
*
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.zip
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.tar.gz
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.exe
* Valid Windows Digital Signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72.exe
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72-src.zip
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.5.72-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: Same
*
* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: FAILED
*
* Tests that failed:
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.APR.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.APR.txt
* org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.APR.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO2.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.APR.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser.NIO2.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
пт, 1 окт. 2021 г. в 18:47, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
>
> [...]
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337

Chris,

The Maven staging repo (above) is not accessible:

404 - Repository "orgapachetomcat-1337 (staging: open)"
[id=orgapachetomcat-1337] exists but is not exposed.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/10/2021 08:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/10/2021 08:12, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 05/10/2021 01:32, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry about this release. The VOTE has officially passed, but I
>>> fear I may have to re-roll the release as the Maven artifacts were
>>> not signed properly at the time. I'm trying to decide what to do
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> I can re-roll the release under the same version number, but I'll
>>> have to re-generate everything. I can't guarantee it will be
>>> byte-for-byte identical for a few reasons, so I'm not sure how
>>> comfortable everyone will be with their votes standing.
>>>
>>> Asking for a re-vote on a release is a little odd and may actually
>>> not be okay ASF-wise. So I'm thinking maybe I should cancel the vote
>>> and use a new version number which is source-identical to 8.5.72 and
>>> call for a new vote with the new artifacts.
>>>
>>> I apologize for the confusion; I didn't notice the missing Maven
>>> items at the time, and cleared-away everything after uploading
>>> everything to svn.
>>
>> I might have a way to fix this. Given em an hour or two...
>
> I believe this is fixed. The Maven repository is now closed and the
> staging repository in the original VOTE is available:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
>
> The files that were in the repository are unchanged. All I have done is
> signed the files that were missing signatures (*.jar, *.zip, *.tar.gz
> and *.pom) and the closed the repository.
>
> I suggest allowing 24 hours for anyone who voted to change their vote if
> they wish and then either complete the release if the votes remain
> unchanged or create a 8.5.73 release if there are any -1 votes.

One additional piece of information. I have checked all the binaries and
they are identical to those available at dist.a.o. I haven't checked the
-sources.jar files.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> On 10/5/21 03:49, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

>> I believe this is fixed. The Maven repository is now closed and the
>> staging repository in the original VOTE is available:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
>
> What sorcery did you apply, here?

I cheated ;) I have SSH access to the box that hosts repository.a.o

rsync the staging repo to my local machine
sign everything that needed signing
rsync the *.asc files back to my home dir on repository.a.o
set file permissions correctly
rsync the *.asc files to the right place  on repository.a.o
close the repository via the UI

>> The files that were in the repository are unchanged. All I have done
>> is signed the files that were missing signatures (*.jar, *.zip,
>> *.tar.gz and *.pom) and the closed the repository.
>
> There were so many files I wasn't sure where to begin. Were you able to
> get a comprehensive listing of the files in there in order to download
> them? I also don't know the mechanism for uploading them (it's all done
> by the build script, which presumably you wrote).

I just grabbed the whole directory structure and then did a recursive
find to sign everything with a given file extension. Repeat for each
file type that needed to be signed.

 From memory, it was jfclere that updated the build scripts to talk to
Nexus.

>> I suggest allowing 24 hours for anyone who voted to change their vote
>> if they wish and then either complete the release if the votes remain
>> unchanged or create a 8.5.73 release if there are any -1 votes.
>
> So the files were produced by me but signed by you. That shouldn't be a
> problem unless someone wants to claim that a Tomcat release must be done
> by a single person, which is of course completely untrue.

+1

> Thanks for doing this. I'd love the details so I can recover in the
> future if necessary.

Generally, this will need someone from the infra team to fix this. At
least the way I fixed it anyway. There might be a way to fix this via
the UI but I couldn't see one although as the creator of the repository
you might have a few more options.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
вт, 5 окт. 2021 г. в 10:49, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

> On 05/10/2021 08:12, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > On 05/10/2021 01:32, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'm sorry about this release. The VOTE has officially passed, but I
> >> fear I may have to re-roll the release as the Maven artifacts were not
> >> signed properly at the time. I'm trying to decide what to do about it.
> >>
> >> I can re-roll the release under the same version number, but I'll have
> >> to re-generate everything. I can't guarantee it will be byte-for-byte
> >> identical for a few reasons, so I'm not sure how comfortable everyone
> >> will be with their votes standing.
> >>
> >> Asking for a re-vote on a release is a little odd and may actually not
> >> be okay ASF-wise. So I'm thinking maybe I should cancel the vote and
> >> use a new version number which is source-identical to 8.5.72 and call
> >> for a new vote with the new artifacts.
> >>
> >> I apologize for the confusion; I didn't notice the missing Maven items
> >> at the time, and cleared-away everything after uploading everything to
> >> svn.
> >
> > I might have a way to fix this. Given em an hour or two...
>
> I believe this is fixed. The Maven repository is now closed and the
> staging repository in the original VOTE is available:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
>
> The files that were in the repository are unchanged. All I have done is
> signed the files that were missing signatures (*.jar, *.zip, *.tar.gz
> and *.pom) and the closed the repository.
>
> I suggest allowing 24 hours for anyone who voted to change their vote if
> they wish and then either complete the release if the votes remain
> unchanged or create a 8.5.73 release if there are any -1 votes.

+1 to go.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 5:47 PM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 8.5.71 are:
>
> - Further robustness improvements to HTTP/2 flow control window
>     management
>
> - Fix an issue that caused some Servlet non-blocking API reads of the
>     HTTP request body to incorrectly use blocking IO.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.72
> 53c394049af76032bc7acab9de023013ad4fdc43
>
> The proposed 8.5.72 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.72 (stable)

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 10/4/21 02:58, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/10/2021 15:18, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> вс, 3 окт. 2021 г. в 16:10, Christopher Schultz
>> <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>>
>>> Konstantin,

>>> Apologies for forgetting to close the Maven repo. Please check again.
>>>

>> The maven repo is still in the same state,
>>
>> 404 - Repository "orgapachetomcat-1337 (staging: open)"
>> [id=orgapachetomcat-1337] exists but is not exposed.
>
> Chris,
>
> The closing of the repository failed because none of .asc files appear
> to have been uploaded.

Hmm.

I'll try it again.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 10/2/21 12:02, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> пт, 1 окт. 2021 г. в 18:47, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
>>
>> The notable changes compared to 8.5.71 are:
>>
>> - Further robustness improvements to HTTP/2 flow control window
>>      management
>>
>> - Fix an issue that caused some Servlet non-blocking API reads of the
>>      HTTP request body to incorrectly use blocking IO.
>>
>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>
>> For full details, see the changelog:
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/
>> The Maven staging repo is:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
>> The tag is:
>> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.72
>> 53c394049af76032bc7acab9de023013ad4fdc43
>>
>> The proposed 8.5.72 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.72 (stable)
>
> Notes:

Thanks for voting on this release.

 > [0. Stray vim swap file file is in the distribution]

I forgot to close vim after editing the build.properties.default file,
so this was included in the distribution. I'll take more care in the
future. We could also add an <excludes> filter to the build to prevent
these kinds of files from being added, too. I can look into that.

> 1. Maven repo is still 404, and

Apologies for forgetting to close the Maven repo. Please check again.

> 2. Tomcat 8.5.72 is unusable with Java 17
> unless ecj-4.6.3.jar is replaced with a later version. See
> https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=65599
>
> Tested on Windows 10.
> Smoke tests OK with Java 7 (7u80)
> Unit tests pass with Java 7, 8 and 11. (32-bit 7u80, 64-bit 8u302, 11.0.12).
>
> Smoke tests and Unit tests fail with Java 17 (17.0.0):
> I added details to  https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=65599#c2
>
> Error handling in that case could be better,
> but as this is not a regression (occurs with 8.5.71 as well, as
> originally reported)
> and there is no fix for the root cause, I do not consider it a showstopper.

Thanks for testing this. It's probably worth adding this fact (won't
work on Java 17 without a manual-upgrade of ecj) to the Notable Changes
for Tomcat 8.5. It's not really a "notable change" but it's worth
mentioning someplace specific.

> I wonder whether now is the good time to decide on EOL schedule for Tomcat 8.5.

I think that needs to have more to do with the availability of stable
Tomcat 10.1 than anything else.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
пт, 1 окт. 2021 г. в 18:47, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
> [...]
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/

Just a note.

The sources (apache-tomcat-8.5.72-src.tar.gz, *.zip) contain an extra
file, not present in Git repository,
".build.properties.default.swp"

It does not contain any secrets, as far as I see. A binary file with
some chunks from the well-known "build.properties.default" file, a
user name and file paths. It looks that it was created by VIM 8.2.
Not a stopper.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.72

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 8:47 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.72 release is now available for voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 8.5.71 are:
>
> - Further robustness improvements to HTTP/2 flow control window
>     management
>
> - Fix an issue that caused some Servlet non-blocking API reads of the
>     HTTP request body to incorrectly use blocking IO.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat-8.5.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.72/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1337
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/8.5.72
> 53c394049af76032bc7acab9de023013ad4fdc43
>
> The proposed 8.5.72 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.72 (stable)

+1

Unit tests passed on Ubuntu 20.04 with Java 11

Igal