Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2015/10/15 11:46:46 UTC

[graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Hi Incubator PMC,

FYI I have started an experiment at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc ,
using our maturity model to evaluate Groovy before its mentors suggest
its graduation (which should happen very soon).

So far this has helped uncover a few issues that we (at least I)
hadn't noticed otherwise. Nothing major, but interesting, and I think
it can be useful for the IPMC and Board once they have to decide to
graduate the podling.

-Bertrand

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
I’ll get right on creating one for Unomi, I’ve been wanting to use this since you first told me about it Bertrand :)

cheers,
  Serge…

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> ...In particular, this document isn't a "metric", is is more of a
> checklist...

Yeah that was part of the maturity model's design [1]: avoid the
levels of compliance that many such models have, but rather make it
modular and granular.

I'm glad this seems to be working well, and the idea of focusing on
the Incubator output (resolutions + maturity evaluation) rather than
its process sounds very good to me.

-Bertrand

[1] If you're curious the comdev discussions that led to the current
version of the maturity model are at
http://s.apache.org/apache_maturity_model

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just looked over Bertrand's document and I must say while I had high
> expectations Bertrand has managed to surpass them.  That this is a
> functional and itemized list of details is just perfect- even better that
> there are citations and references along with it!
>
> Excellent job Bertrand!

Ditto.  I wish more of the pushback identified specific questions that
were over the top or overkill.  I can honestly say that I didn't find
any.  Some (like the licensing questions) may need to be tweaked over
time (e.g., I personally am aware of a number of projects with non
optional dependency on a JDK), but that can be worked over time.

In particular, this document isn't a "metric", is is more of a
checklist, with common sense things like "is the code open source, are
dependencies OK, have you made releases, is voting working smoothly,
is the community interdependent of external influences".  Nor are the
questions pass/fail.

While this is indeed an all volunteer organization, I will submit that
those that vote on graduation matters and those that vote on Establish
resolutions are also volunteers; and making this information available
at the times of those votes will save a considerable amount of
volunteer effort.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
I thought I'd comment from Groovy's point of view, being on the
"receiving" end of the audit.

I felt that the structure the audit provided to discussions about "Are
we there yet?" was very valuable. It didn't feel to me like the audit
was imposing any new requirement or policy that I hadn't heard about
before - just presenting a structured checklist to make sure we hadn't
forgotten anything and to avoid going over ground multiple times for
things which had been decided/discussed previously.

It was also presented to us as a guideline. I think this is a very
healthy way to view it. Most of our mentors seemed to have had a "gut
feel" for when projects are ready for graduation. A guideline doesn't
preclude that human aspect but does assist with focusing the
discussion around the important points and making it less subjective
in many areas. Also, as a guideline it would leave open the ability
for us to make a case for why a particular audit item may not apply or
might apply differently to us. We didn't end up having any such
requirement but if we did and we found an acceptable compromise, then
it would be recorded for future reference.

So, I'd certainly recommend any project adopting the maturity model as
a guideline.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 10/15/2015 08:21 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> If we are to use the maturity model as the guideline regarding podling
> graduation, then certainly the model should be voted on and approved
> by the membership as *the* model for the ASF, right?
>
> Basically, it looks to me that the model is proposing and creating policy,
> and this is something that needs to be done 'correctly', if you get my
> meaning.

+1

This is why, in that other thread, I suggested that mentors voluntarily
evaluate their podlings based on these guidelines, but didn't suggest
any kind of actual policy change or requirement.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...As someone who is going through incubation right now, I think I would have
> liked to have been looking at the maturity model from day 1 of incubation...

Yes, that would be nice IMO.

As that's quite a new tool we are still experimenting. For now,
existing podlings who want to try it are of course free to create
their own MATURITY document for ongoing review.

A structured text version of the current maturity model can be found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator-groovy/9161ff15cf74b746a507e2105a4c828c0ef667c3/MATURITY.adoc

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 15/10/15 16:28, Filip Hanik a écrit :
> On Thursday, October 15, 2015, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 15/10/15 13:17, Rich Bowen a écrit :
>>> A huge +1, but I wonder about a few things. Who does the work?
>> I guess that each PMC should be responsible for this work, with a dead
>> line soft enough that it allows each check to be done with no stress,
>> and under the supervision of some members in charge of helping them.
>>
>>> Who
>>> evaluates the results?
>> Either the board, or a group gathered for that purpose.
>
> the board? doesn't that become a bottleneck.

Indeed. The board can delegate ;-)

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Filip Hanik <fi...@hanik.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 15, 2015, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Le 15/10/15 13:17, Rich Bowen a écrit :

> > > Who
> > > evaluates the results?
> >
> > Either the board, or a group gathered for that purpose.
>
> the board? doesn't that become a bottleneck.

Not at all. "Bottleneck" implies motion that is slower than some desired
value. There's nothing saying "3 days" or "3 years".

But regardless, the Board reviews 70 reports *every* month. Every TLP
reports at least once per quarter. I don't think this would phase the Board
at all :-P ... it has more bandwidth than you'd expect.

Cheers,
-g
(with Director hat on)

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Filip Hanik <fi...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
A huge +1, but I wonder about a few things. Who does the work? Who
Le 15/10/15 11:46, Bertrand Delacretaz a écrit :
> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> FYI I have started an experiment at
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc ,
> using our maturity model to evaluate Groovy before its mentors suggest
> its graduation (which should happen very soon).
>
> So far this has helped uncover a few issues that we (at least I)
> hadn't noticed otherwise. Nothing major, but interesting, and I think
> it can be useful for the IPMC and Board once they have to decide to
> graduate the podling.

That's an interesting exercise !

Having read the document Betrand has completed for Groovy, I do think
that an audit of all the existing TLP should be done in the next month
to check if all the iterms are correctly fullfiled. I suspect we would
be surprised...

RE: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Absolutely should be voluntary. We don't need more red tape. We need better guidance.

The model is good guidance. Individual volunteers should evaluate from their own perspective and work towards improving areas they feel attached to.

That is, someone in the project from day one will not have the same view as someone new to the community. The model is qualitative not quantative and thus open to interpretation. I'd hate for us to be too formal in its application, ir will only lead to more debate over what is/is not best practice.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/MATURITY.adoc

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 18/10/15 10:48, Martijn Dashorst a écrit :
> -1 on requiring all projects to do this exercise. It is not policy,
> and frankly as a volunteer organization we can let the communities
> themselves determine whether this is something they want to spend
> their time on.

Well, I unerstand your concerns, but it seems odd that we engage podling
to go through such a process that we haven't asked the TLP to do in the
past, and not check that the TLPs at large are compliant with such a
check list.

> I thought we were a community for/over code, not a bureaucracy for/over code.

As a community focused foundation, I'd rather see such an exercise as a
reinsurance for the larger community that are our users that we do
fulfill The ASF expectations in various areas. Calling that bureaucratcy
is a bit like saying the checklist every pilot is doing before take off
a spurious and annoying task...

> If/when a community finds itself in a hard spot, perhaps *then* it is
> valuable to assess the maturity model, to see how/what can be improved
> upon. But requiring this of all projects? With a deadline too?

Would'nt it be too late ? Wouldn't it be a better idea to check
peridodically that no hard spot is appearing ? Fixing a community is way
more difficult than anticipating potential pitfalls that can derail the
process later on...

But that might just be me...

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
-1 on requiring all projects to do this exercise. It is not policy,
and frankly as a volunteer organization we can let the communities
themselves determine whether this is something they want to spend
their time on.

I thought we were a community for/over code, not a bureaucracy for/over code.

If/when a community finds itself in a hard spot, perhaps *then* it is
valuable to assess the maturity model, to see how/what can be improved
upon. But requiring this of all projects? With a deadline too?

Martijn

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 15/10/15 13:49, Bertrand Delacretaz a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I do think
>> that an audit of all the existing TLP should be done in the next month
>> to check if all the iterms are correctly fullfiled....
> That would be interesting but that's 167 TLPs if my memory is
> correct...that's a a lot of work for next month ;-)

I was not specifically thinking about such a short term target ;-) In my
mind, this is something that could take a full year...

And, no, that is not an incubator concern, I'm just bouncing the ball
one step farther...

Re: [graduation] Maturity model-based assessment of Groovy for its graduation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I do think
> that an audit of all the existing TLP should be done in the next month
> to check if all the iterms are correctly fullfiled....

That would be interesting but that's 167 TLPs if my memory is
correct...that's a a lot of work for next month ;-)

Maybe we can ask each PMC to do this within a reasonable time frame,
say 3 months...but that's not an Incubator concern then.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.