Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Brian J. Sayatovic" <tr...@one.net> on 2004/04/16 02:50:40 UTC

James: What not to do

Here's a short list of things NOT TO DO when working with James.  I
encountered these in my rapid carelessnes in the past couple of days:

1. Do not upgrade your JRE, delete your old JRE, and forget to edit the
wrapper.conf to point to the newer JRE.

2. Do not forget to update your custom dependent libraries of your
Mailet when you updates the james.sar.

3. Do not forget to make sure your primary MX record in your dynamic DNS
is pointed to a valid A record, not an old one you no longer update.

4. Do not use UltimateZip to update james.sar as it seems to corrupt the
archive from Java's perspective.

5. Do not delete the archive for your James installation so that when
you corrupt your james.sar, you can just re-extract it from the archive.

6. Do not delete your old James files when installing a new version of
James (that you had to download since you didn't save the last archive!)
so that you can port your config files over.

7. Do not do any of these things at the same time you move your
development environment around breaking all of your old deployment
scripts slowing down the repair process.

8. Do not expect to quickly hear back on the job opportunities you
inquired about using the e-mail address hosted on your James server if
you have managed to FUBAR your server in the meantime.

I don't know if I subconiously wanted to cause pain for myself or what,
but I did just that!

Regards,
Brian.

Re: James: What not to do

Posted by "Steven J. Owens" <pu...@darksleep.com>.
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:50:40PM -0400, Brian J. Sayatovic wrote:
> 4. Do not use UltimateZip to update james.sar as it seems to corrupt the
> archive from Java's perspective.

     I have been told that java.util.zip writes the file names in the
zip file UTF-8 encoded, which no other zip utility except jar
understands.  Not sure if this is what you're running into, but
something to check on.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com

how to capture the mail coming in

Posted by Michael Finney <fi...@ACM.org>.
How do I capture/work on the mail coming in?  What am I doing wrong?  I am
trying to use HasMailAttribute

james-fetchmail.xml
    <fetchmail enabled="true">
        <fetch name="mailabsadelphianet">

>From config.xml

<mailet
  match="All"
  class="AddFooter">
  <text>Before has mail attribute.</text>
</mailet>

<mailet
  match="HasMailAttribute=org.apache.james.fetchmail.mailabsadelphianet"
  class="AddFooter">
  <text>From Adelphia.</text>
</mailet>

<mailet