Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2018/01/20 00:32:35 UTC

Re: DISCUSS: Personalization of Mobile Banking App by Financial Institution

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on this subject and sorry I'm only
getting around to replying on it now. Myrle - thanks for summarizing the
two scenarios I had proposed succinctly.

@Luisa - what I had intended was a white-labeled app that can be easily
customized by the individual FI or partner supporting the MFI. I hear your
concern that if an individual financial institution is going to use the
mobile banking app, their clients won't want to, nor expect to search for a
Fineract/Mifos/etc app on Google Play - I had to that with US Bank a couple
years ago and found it very odd.

I think we need to make the assumption that end clients aren't going to
directly download and install the generic mobile banking app from Google
Play and that it will first be modified by the financial institution or the
partner supporting the financial institution and then that APK can be made
directly available to the clients or pushed to Google Play.

That being said,

Approach 1 is what we'll focus on for the mobile banking app at the center
of this discussion:

1.) By adjusting the source code and distributing a bank-specific app.

In order to make it easier for partners or IT staff of an FI to modify the
generic APK to be specific to their tenant, we should expose the baseURL as
easily modifiable setting in debug mode so they can then rebuild their APK.

Sander - I think this conservative approach is inline with what you've done
where you're simply generating unique APKs for each of your tenants, and
not trying to have one APK that they then select their financial
institution for from a drop down before creating their account.

In reality, the approach I discussed before  (2.) By distributing the same
app for all banks, then selecting the bank*in* the app.) of having a end
user select an FI from a drop-down seems untenable, especially if they're
from MFIs from many different partners.

@Sander - When you said that some prefer Musoni Services to host the app
under Google Play, how are you doing that if you have a unique APK for each
tenant? Or were you just meaning that you do the publishing and hosting of
the unique APK for them?

Zayyad, for the use cases of a partner with multiple tenants, you can
follow an approach like Sander and run scripts that create the new APKs for
you with the correct baseURL for the respective tenant.

To summarize, we'll go with approach 1 to allow a partner/FI to adjust the
code and make it specific to their customer's financial institution. That
will involve:

1) Making it easy to adjust baseURL or tenant it's connecting from within
the app (so no changes currently to Fineract)
2) Clearly documenting on the wiki and in Google Play what needs to be done
to connect this to a production tenant whereby the initial app before
pointing it to a different server is just for testing purposes.

And to go back to the first discussion at hand regarding customizing of
logo, we're still writing out the spec and wireframes for an administrative
portal to allow FI staff to handle the upload of a logo for their app and
other self-service administrative functions.

@Rajan, @Dilpreet, @Denila - let's think about the settings that we can
make configurable - i.e. logo, color scheme, etc.

Ed