Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/06/02 19:35:09 UTC

Re: Next steps for AOO 4.0 Logo Selection

On 30/05/2013 Chris Rot wrote:
> I have removed v4 and added variants overview PNG/PDF in
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Stage+2+Logo+Refinement
> :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/31821474/2013-05_Apache_OpenOffice_Logo-Proposal_ChrisR_2-refinement_incl-v4_Versions.png
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/31821474/2013-05_Apache_OpenOffice_Logo-Proposal_ChrisR_2-refinement_incl-v4_Versions.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1369935586121

I still quite like it, even though I would probably have preferred to
keep the lighter grey in "Office" (but if we move to personal
preferences, of course everyone has his own).

It is still an issue that at 33% (more or less the size of the website
banner) "Apache" is barely readable. Could we circumvent the issue by
using a specific "pixel-perfect" design, rather than a resize, for the
site banner? I mean something with the same size of
http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/OOo_Website_v2_copy.png that
is very close to a resize of your bigger logo, but has some very fine
tweaks, added to that version only, that make "Apache" more readable at
that size. So basically: a resize with a bit of post-processing so that
it looks great at that size too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Next steps for AOO 4.0 Logo Selection

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/4/13 10:47 AM, Chris Rot wrote:
> We could change the font for Apache to a sligtly thicker variant, but I
> would prefer to not have to much dominant words: Apache OpenOffice is long
> and my first proposal started only with the "globe with birds" and Office.
> I would like to retain some of the idea to have a short word brand or at
> least not dominant additional words.
> Regarding Rob's comments I can't speak much about the past from my
> experience, but I consider also the OOo brand interesting because shorter
> then "AOO":
> http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/HOW_TO/word_processing/Word-to-OOo_html_408582ff.png

I agree and we should not stress the word Apache in the context of
OpenOffice. OpenOffice is the brand, Apache OpenOffice is the project
under the ASF and we highlight this in certain places.

Think about other Apache project, nobody talk about Apache subversion
but simply subversion, nobody talks about Apache flex but simply flex.

Just my 2 cents

Juergen

>>> Proposal_ChrisR_2-refinement_**incl-v4_Versions.png<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/31821474/2013-05_Apache_OpenOffice_Logo-Proposal_ChrisR_2-refinement_incl-v4_Versions.png>

Posted by Chris Rot <ch...@gmail.com>.