Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Bob Otterberg <bo...@finetix.com> on 2003/05/02 17:03:35 UTC

HDF Functionality [was Re:HDF Object Model]

> For a start, the use case I had in mind when I originally wrote what is
> there now was document conversion. i.e. convert from word to pdf, word to
> html, etc.
>
> I have seen a lot of interest in mail merge. I don't what exactly mail
merge
> is. But I have seen a lot of interest... :-)

OK - building on that...

1.  Convert Word document to other formats
     1.1  Word -> PDF
     1.2  Word -> HTML
     1.3  Word -> XML
     1.4  Others???

2.  Convert other documents to Word document
     2.1  PDF -> Word
     2.2  XML -> Word
     2.3  HTML -> Word

3.  Create new document(s) from template and supplied data
     3.1  One template + one data set produces one document
     3.2  One template + multiple data sets produces multiple documents
            (Mail merge is a specific example)

4.  Search & Replace
     4.1  Search for text and return hits with surrounding context
(sentence, paragraph, etc)
     4.2  Search for text and replace hits with supplied text

5.  Build Word doc via API
      (This is really the base functionality)

Re: HDF Functionality [was Re:HDF Object Model]

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Note that if the functionality were there, the inevitable Java office suite
would use it.  SWT makes me hopeful that this wouldn't be a complete waste
of cycles for someone else to do once HDF worked.  You get word format and
have faith that I'm working on pretty picture support.

-Andy

On 5/2/03 11:03 AM, "Bob Otterberg" <bo...@finetix.com> wrote:

>> For a start, the use case I had in mind when I originally wrote what is
>> there now was document conversion. i.e. convert from word to pdf, word to
>> html, etc.
>>
>> I have seen a lot of interest in mail merge. I don't what exactly mail
> merge
>> is. But I have seen a lot of interest... :-)
>
> OK - building on that...
>
> 1.  Convert Word document to other formats
>    1.1  Word -> PDF
>    1.2  Word -> HTML
>    1.3  Word -> XML
>    1.4  Others???
>
> 2.  Convert other documents to Word document
>    2.1  PDF -> Word
>    2.2  XML -> Word
>    2.3  HTML -> Word
>
> 3.  Create new document(s) from template and supplied data
>    3.1  One template + one data set produces one document
>    3.2  One template + multiple data sets produces multiple documents
>           (Mail merge is a specific example)
>
> 4.  Search & Replace
>    4.1  Search for text and return hits with surrounding context
> (sentence, paragraph, etc)
>    4.2  Search for text and replace hits with supplied text
>
> 5.  Build Word doc via API
>     (This is really the base functionality)

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi