Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com> on 2000/07/04 10:23:12 UTC

Custom logs must die

I've set the default Logger to be custom=yes, since "Custom" means
"normal looking".  "Non-custom" means "surrounded with funny xml tags"
and nobody uses it anyway.

Any objections to disposing of "custom" altogether?

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com>.
> just wondering why tomcat doesnt adopt the W3C ELF (Extended logfile
> format) for logfiles ? analog and other parsers understand it
> cleanly...and it can be extended easily. you can put XML tags
> into it without breaking existing logfile parsers.
> -Ys-
> yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com

Because these are not access logs we're talking about, but
message/error logs.  AFAIK Tomcat does use CLF for its access logs, if
and when it produces them.

You raise a good point, though: *is* there a standard format for
message-type logs?  Or we should probably wait for that JSR.

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by Geoff Soutter <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>.
note that the next release of the Java platform will likely include a
logging api which has it's own XML format.

So if I was you guys I'd ditch any custom XML formats altogether till that
comes out of the JSR process

cheers

Geoff

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	Ahh.  Understood.  I'll be happy to work on the XML format when
the time comes.

Aaron

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Alex Chaffee wrote:
> I agree that would be nice. However, right now, it doesn't do that; it
> just wraps the whole bloody message in a single tag that happens to be
> the same as the name of the log file you're in, e.g.
> <jasper_log> timestamp - blah blah blah </jasper_log>
>
> I'm suggesting we kill "custom" and then later maybe add an "xml"
> format, e.g.
>
> <entry>
>  <date>2000-07-04</data>
>  <time>23:45:11</time>
>  <component>ContextManager</component>
>  <message>something happened</message>
>  <exception>java.lang.NullPointerException
> ...stacktrace...
>  </exception>
> </entry>
>
> but not yet!
>
>  - A

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com.

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com>.
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Alex Chaffee wrote:
> > I've set the default Logger to be custom=yes, since "Custom" means
> > "normal looking".  "Non-custom" means "surrounded with funny xml tags"
> > and nobody uses it anyway.
> >
> > Any objections to disposing of "custom" altogether?

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:36:47AM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Well, as a career Lurker, I'm not sure I have much say here,
> but...
> 	Funny XML tags suck during development, when all you want to see
> is the messages output as a result of your latest change.  But I suspect
> they'd be *very* useful in production, where you could easily parse the
> logs for certain dates, modules, error levels, or whatever.  My wife the
> web developer says she'd pay for this feature.  FWIW.  :)

Too bad it's open source, huh?  Or we could charge her for it... ;-)

Re: Custom logs must die

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.