Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/09/11 14:45:37 UTC

Re: Please help me generate a patch file

Hi Sean,

In addition to line endings, two other things that sometimes cause
problems are tabs vs. spaces and trailing spaces.  I can't remember if
JBuilder has a "remove trailing spaces" edit option, but if it (or
Tortoise CVS?) does and you have that turned on, that would cause the diff
line below. The standard license template has a trailing space on the
"changed" line. You should also make sure that your editor is set up to
use spaces instead of tabs.

hth,

Phil

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@schof.com>.
Phil,

Thanks for the info.  It turned out to be the trailing spaces.  In the
JBuilder editor preferences there is an option to strip trailing whitespace
when saving that is checked by default.  Perhaps someone could update the
instructions for submitting a patch to include something about making sure
your editor does not strip trailing whitespace.  It mentions not using tabs
which I read and made sure not to do.

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I'm all set now.  Stay tuned for my patch!