Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com> on 2012/07/02 23:33:25 UTC

[IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName

Hi Guys,

I am new to the project so forgive me if the answer is obvious...

I am working with latest svn bits and the
org.apache.commons.imaging.formats.tiff.taginfos.TagInfo class seems to
only support the TagName column of Table 3 TIFF Rev. 6.0 Attribute
Information Used in Exif in the Exif spec
<http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF>. I need access to FieldName as it
seems more suitable as a human-friendly identifier for the tag.

I think it would be ideal if TagInfo supports both TagName and
FieldName. What does the dev team think? If there are not many -1s then
I will file in RFE in JIRA.

Thanks for your input.

Farrukh

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com

Re: [IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Farrukh Najmi
<fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com> wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 01:56 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Farrukh Najmi
>> <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Damjan,
>>>
>>> +1 on your proposed solution for using TagInfo.name for the Exif 2.2's
>>> "Field Name" and for adding a TagInfo.description for Exif 2.2's "Tag
>>> Name".
>>> This is what I was thinking as well. That in conjunction with existing
>>> TagInfo.tag (the numeric id) completes the identification, naming and
>>> description of the tag and makes for a clean model.
>>>
>>> What do dev team members
>>> <http://commons.apache.org/imaging/team-list.html>
>>> think about this proposal?
>>>
>>> As an aside, this matches very well with ebXML RegRep's Registry
>>> Information
>>> Model which is what I am trying to map photo metadata to. My eventual
>>> goal
>>> is to define a standard specification to manage image content and
>>> metadata
>>> in an ebXML Registry and Repository.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Farrukh
>>>
>>> Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com
>>>
>> Those dev teams members are no longer around, it's mostly just me :).
>>
>> "description" is going to be difficult, as only EXIF provides it. But
>> I'll start doing the "name".
>>

> Hi Damjan,
>
> Please see the patch I submitted for thread:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201207.mbox/browser
>
> Above thread seems quite related to this one.
>
> I think IPTC provides description too.
>
> If a metadata format other than EXIF or IPTC (which are others btw?) does
> not support description then we can simply return null for that.

The only other metadata format is XMP, but at the moment it's read by
a separate method and returned as a string of XML.

> BTW, ok if I start a JIRA issue (or should it be two?) to track both
> threads' issues?

Of course, go ahead.

> --
> Regards,
> Farrukh
>
> Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com

Regards
Damjan

Re: [IMAGING] TagInfo and distinction between TagName and FieldName

Posted by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.