Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com> on 2008/02/28 17:21:41 UTC

"Malformed UTF-8 character" errors

While investigating why a couple of emails took over 500 seconds to
scan, I found a bunch of these errors in the log file:

spamd[7586]: Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x8e,
with no preceding start byte) in pattern match (m//) at
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/70_sare_specific_cf_sare_sa-update_dostech_ne
t/200605280300.cf, rule SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU1, line 1.

(3,752 of them to be exact)

They are being reported for these rules:
    SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU1
    SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU2
    SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU4
    SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU5
    SARE_SPEC_REPL_OBFU6

A bit of Googling for the error message indicates that this is a problem
with UTF-8 in Perl.  Is there still a problem with this ruleset?  I
tried to go to rulesemporium.com to make sure I have the most recent
version of the file (5/28/2006?), but the site seems to be
non-responsive at the moment.

    $ spamassassin -V
    SpamAssassin version 3.2.4
      running on Perl version 5.8.5

--
Bowie

Re: 'Malformed UTF-8 character' errors

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
> running on Perl version 5.8.5

upgrade, and let us know problem later

if i remember unicode was a problem before 5.8.8