Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Earl Woodman <ea...@nl.rogers.com> on 2008/02/27 20:04:08 UTC

Log Command

Hi Folks,

I'm going to start working on Jira SMX4KNL-1, the creation of a log
command for the kernel. There's not much description there so I'd like
to get some input about what this command should do. Any suggestions?

Here is the url: https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SMX4KNL-1

Cheers
Earl

Re: Log Command

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I haven't really thought about that much, but the basic idea is to be able to
interact with the logging framework (log4j underneath, whatever the api you
use).   I'm thinking it may even be a subshell on its own where one could:
   * display the n last log entries
   * change the log level for a given logger
   * display for the last exception
I guess we can find more ...

Implementing commands is not very difficult.  You should have a look
at the osgi
related commands for example.
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/kernel/trunk/gshell/gshell-osgi/

The commands should be wired  using spring as done in the above module and
for the aspects related to the log system itself, I'm not sure if we
can leverage
the OSGi service only
   http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4/org/osgi/service/log/package-summary.html
or if we need to go down to log4j itself.
FYI, you can find the sources of the log framework at
    https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/projects/pax/logging

This is a bit short of explanation, but I think you will find above
some pointers
to look at (mostly the gshell-osgi module that defines a few commands).

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet