Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/09/16 16:42:14 UTC

Contribution of Trade Performance Benchmark Sample to Geronimo

I received approval yesterday that IBM is officially donating the Trade
Application to Geronimo under the Apache license to help with functional
and performance testing.  I have renamed the OpenSource version to
dayTrader to avoid confusion between the two.

If your interested in seeing information about Trade now you can look at

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?source=trade6
to get some more information on the benchmark.  The nice thing is that
it tests the WebContainer, the EJB container, Messaging, WebServices,
one and two-phase commit in both a macro (whole application) and micro
(web primitives) context to isolate performance issues.

I'm in the process of "mavenizing" the contribution and was structuring
it to fit in the applications tree as daytrader.  I'd like some feedback
on that that placement.

I'm pretty excited about this contribution as it gives us a functional
and performance baseline to see where we stand in the world.  I have
some initial performance measurements that I'll be posting next week
(when my performance systems come back online).

I'm also working on an article to discuss deploying this application on
Geronimo with a set of examples to provide real-world information on how
to deploy and get an application working.

For those that are interested, I would like to get a Tomcat set of
measurements in addition to Jetty so a quick note on how to swap the two
  containers that would be excellent.

Please comment on placement and I will have the mavenized version as the
application stands today out in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Contribution of Trade Performance Benchmark Sample to Geronimo

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Sep 16, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I received approval yesterday that IBM is officially donating the
> Trade Application to Geronimo under the Apache license to help with
> functional and performance testing.  I have renamed the OpenSource
> version to dayTrader to avoid confusion between the two.

Excellent!!

> If your interested in seeing information about Trade now you can
> look at https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?
> source=trade6 to get some more information on the benchmark.  The
> nice thing is that it tests the WebContainer, the EJB container,
> Messaging, WebServices, one and two-phase commit in both a macro
> (whole application) and micro (web primitives) context to isolate
> performance issues.
>
> I'm in the process of "mavenizing" the contribution and was
> structuring it to fit in the applications tree as daytrader.  I'd
> like some feedback on that that placement.

Does anyone think this would be a good time to start a new
Application subproject?  We can pull out all the apps from the main
server tree into something peer and parallel with /devtools

> I'm pretty excited about this contribution as it gives us a
> functional and performance baseline to see where we stand in the
> world.  I have some initial performance measurements that I'll be
> posting next week (when my performance systems come back online).
>
> I'm also working on an article to discuss deploying this
> application on Geronimo with a set of examples to provide real-
> world information on how to deploy and get an application working.
>
> For those that are interested, I would like to get a Tomcat set of
> measurements in addition to Jetty so a quick note on how to swap
> the two  containers that would be excellent.
>
> Please comment on placement and I will have the mavenized version
> as the application stands today out in the next couple of days.

Matt, thanks - this is great.

Any comments on starting an apps subproject?

geir

geirm@apache.org