Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2019/05/09 22:23:54 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove the email feature from Alarms (proxy.config.alarm_email) and cleanup

Hi all,

I’d like to propose that we eliminate the “email” feature out of Alarms. I think this is misguided, and in reality, could be wrapped into a script if someone really, really wanted to send emails.  We would remove proxy.config.alarm_email, but keep the other alarm configurations.

In addition, I’ll cleanup the alarms, there’s a number of the existing alarms that are no longer relevant or supported. Such as, all the alarms around cache clustering. Possibly we should add more, it’s a potentially useful feature to have a mechanism for ATS to signal / alert on internal issues outside of just logging. I think …

Thanks,

— leif

P.s
In case you didn’t know (and this is not awesomely documented), the following alarms can trigger:

#define REC_SIGNAL_MACHINE_UP 1
#define REC_SIGNAL_MACHINE_DOWN 2
#define REC_SIGNAL_CONFIG_ERROR 3
#define REC_SIGNAL_SYSTEM_ERROR 4
#define REC_SIGNAL_LOG_SPACE_CRISIS 5
#define REC_SIGNAL_CONFIG_FILE_READ 6
#define REC_SIGNAL_CACHE_ERROR 7
#define REC_SIGNAL_CACHE_WARNING 8
#define REC_SIGNAL_LOGGING_ERROR 9
#define REC_SIGNAL_LOGGING_WARNING 10
// Currently unused: 11
#define REC_SIGNAL_PLUGIN_CONFIG_REG 12
#define REC_SIGNAL_PLUGIN_ADD_REC 13
#define REC_SIGNAL_PLUGIN_SET_CONFIG 14
#define REC_SIGNAL_LOG_FILES_ROLLED 15
#define REC_SIGNAL_LIBRECORDS 16

Many of them can never trigger.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove the email feature from Alarms (proxy.config.alarm_email) and cleanup

Posted by "Steven R. Feltner" <sf...@godaddy.com>.
+1

    Notice: This email is from an external sender.

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1