Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2006/02/18 19:10:45 UTC

Re: Ode proposal

On 2/17/2006 8:12 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:42 -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>>One thing that should be resolved as soon as possible is how we will
>>bring in new members.  At the moment there are 17 proposed new
>>committers for a total of 37 committers.  I think that this list might
>>rival that of Geronimo in terms of size; it seems excessive.  I propose
>>that people are brought in using the standard method of submitting patches.
>>

>-1 .. given that only a handful of the 37 committers (from Sybase and
>Intalio) have touched that code, I see one of two possible paths:
>
>- start with *just* those people as committers
>- start with everyone who wants to be a committer at this stage as
>committers
>
>The latter has been the traditional starting point for incubating
>projects. What you're proposing is some weird middlepoint which biases
>towards the few who signed up in the first few days/whatever. IMO that's
>not a good model!

OT: I dislike the current trend of people using +1, -1, for simple
conversations.  It confuses people and should be reserved for votes.

With that said, I disagree with your proposal Sanjiva.  It has been my
experience that on occasion corporate people who are listed w/ a
donation frequently do little or nothing to build the community or the
product.  Sometimes, corporations see a donation as a quick and easy
means to get their people ASF committer karma.

I trust the mentors on this project.  I trust the Incubator PMC that is
ultimately charged with the oversight of this project.  In a few days,
the the ranks of the commitership will be filled with active developers.

Regards,
Alan

Regards,
Alan

Re: Ode proposal

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote, On 2/18/2006 11:46 PM:
> On 2/18/06, Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> wrote:
>
>>Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>

>>>OT: I dislike the current trend of people using +1, -1, for simple
>>>conversations.  It confuses people and should be reserved for votes.
>>
>>The use of +1/-1 for conversations (as apposed to votes) is very common
>>through the ASF.  I've always rather liked it personally.  It's a very
>>"ASF" thing.
>

> +1.  :-)
>
> What's been quite interesting is to see this convention being used in
> contexts outside the ASF as well ... the underlying message is that
> consensus building is important, plus the ability of contributors to
> consisely indicate "yes I agree" or "no, I disagree," plus the ability to
> express shades of opinion between these extremes.  IMHO, that is absolutely
> the best social impact of this concept ... if you make a +1 or -1 comment,
> you have to be pretty totally commited to (or against) a particular
> approach.  On the other hand, *not* expressing a +1 or -1 gives you lots of
> opportunities to build consensus in the middle, by recognizing that both
> extremes will often have perfectly valid points to have been made, and that
> compromise is a reasonable strategy.

Nicely put Craig.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Ode proposal

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 2/18/06, Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
> > OT: I dislike the current trend of people using +1, -1, for simple
> > conversations.  It confuses people and should be reserved for votes.
>
> The use of +1/-1 for conversations (as apposed to votes) is very common
> through the ASF.  I've always rather liked it personally.  It's a very
> "ASF" thing.

+1.  :-)

What's been quite interesting is to see this convention being used in
contexts outside the ASF as well ... the underlying message is that
consensus building is important, plus the ability of contributors to
consisely indicate "yes I agree" or "no, I disagree," plus the ability to
express shades of opinion between these extremes.  IMHO, that is absolutely
the best social impact of this concept ... if you make a +1 or -1 comment,
you have to be pretty totally commited to (or against) a particular
approach.  On the other hand, *not* expressing a +1 or -1 gives you lots of
opportunities to build consensus in the middle, by recognizing that both
extremes will often have perfectly valid points to have been made, and that
compromise is a reasonable strategy.

Cheers,
>         Berin

Craig