Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2003/03/24 23:19:49 UTC

Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Apache 2.0 testers,

  can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?  This
should look something like;

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login
[password is "anonymous" without the quotes]

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co -r WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 httpd-2.0

cd srclib
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co -r WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 apr
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co -r WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 apr-util

Win32 users also need our apr-iconv port checked out into srclib;
cvs -d pserver:cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co -r WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 apr-iconv

  You will need to invoke ./buildconf yourself in the httpd-2.0 directory you just
checked out before you can invoke ./configure.  Win32 Visual Studio 5.0 users
will need to build from the IDE, users of Visual Studio 6.0 can build from the
command line per http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/win_compiling.html
- and we will not be preparing binary builds of this candidate, only of the final
release immediately prior to posting it on the /dist/httpd/binaries/ site.

  The WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag was applied to the apr, apr-util,
and apr-iconv, but it corresponds exactly to APR_0_9_2.  We have
two build specific patches on apr since 0.9.2 was tagged and rolled,
but we will probably release httpd 2.0.45 with the 0.9.2 apr release
unless folks encounter significant problems.

  If you do encounter problems building apr, you can move to the very
latest changes, change to the srclib/apr directory and cvs up -A
to move beyond the tag to the current code.  Remember to ./buildconf
again in the root directory of your httpd-2.0 checkout.

  If we do encounter enough problems to warrent going with apr's
cvs HEAD - we will call a release 0.9.3 so that everything stays
in sync.

  Thanks for participating in testing this candidate, as we look forward
to releasing the Apache 2.0.45 this week.

Bill

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by André Schild <a....@aarboard.ch>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. schrieb:

>At 02:20 PM 3/25/2003, André Schild wrote:
>

>>William A. Rowe, Jr. schrieb:
>>

>>>Apache 2.0 testers,
>>>
>>>can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
>>>checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?
>>>

>>The SSLMutex always creates this message in the error log on the first access
>>with a HTTPS request:
>>
>>[Tue Mar 25 21:04:55 2003] [warn] (OS 123)Die Syntax für den Dateinamen, Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datenträgerbezeichnung ist falsch.  : Cannot reinit SSLMutex
>>

>I got the message from it's number (thank goodness we finally group
>these by 'role') - and I'm diagnosing now.

There is a small error in my previous mail.
Of course I use the

SSLMutex default

config entry, as on win32 you only have the choice between none and default.

I'm using openssl 0.9.7a and MS dev studio 6.0

André

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
Greg Ames wrote:

>>   can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
>> checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?

I'm done testing and happy with it on daedalus, with the patch to buildconf of
course.  I intend to bounce the production server over to this build later
today, once the load goes down.

Greg

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Apache 2.0 testers,
>
>   can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
> checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?

It's running on port 8092 on apache.org if anyone wants to check it out there.
My initial tests look fine, but I'm too burnt out at the moment to finish some
of the testing I wanted to do before putting it into production.

Greg

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Oh - testing before/after with httpd-test/perl-framework really helps justify
> the patch - especially if you can create a scenario if none exists already.

Since the fixes I want to test only affect non-unices ...
is there a way to let it run under win32? (I don't get it working).

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 04:47 PM 3/24/2003, André Malo wrote:
>* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Apache 2.0 testers,
>>
>>   can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
>> checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?  This
>> should look something like;
>
>Just a question: does it mean, there's no chance to get the outstanding
>patches of mod_rewrite in?
>
>(I know, we should hurry a bit with that release, but the patches are still
>waiting for review since exactly one month ...)

Understandable - unfortunately only Brad weighed in, and he forgot to
indicate exactly which of the several rewrite patches he tested.

I'll review tonight and see which I have time to +1 myself.  I would ask
for extra eyeballs before we incorporate any patches at this late date.
Bugs hanging around is bad - but introducing new regressions is worse.

By the way, anyone can suggest that an issue is a SHOWSTOPPER
to the next release, although it better be a showstopper.  I would suggest
you snip those explicit backports that you believe would resolve this bug
to the list, the section in 2.0-dev's STATUS can be hard to follow.

Posted by André Schild <a....@aarboard.ch>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. schrieb:

>Apache 2.0 testers,
>
>  can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
>checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?  This
>should look something like;

Hello I did the RC1 build for win32.
So far it looks good, rotatelogs/pipe logs seems to work again.

But one thing with SSL causes me troubles.
The SSLMutex always creates this message in the error log on the first
access
with a HTTPS request:

[Tue Mar 25 21:04:55 2003] [warn] (OS 123)Die Syntax für den Dateinamen,
Verzeichnisnamen oder die Datenträgerbezeichnung ist falsch.  : Cannot
reinit SSLMutex

Sorry, I have a german OS, but the meaning of the message is:

Syntax for the filename, directoryname or volumename is wrong.
I actually have SSLMutex left on the default setting of ssl.conf,
which looks:

#   Semaphore:
#   Configure the path to the mutual exclusion semaphore the
#   SSL engine uses internally for inter-process synchronization.
SSLMutex  file:logs/ssl_mutex

Even trying to specify a full path/filename with / and \ didn't help
to resolve this message.

According to the changes.txt there where modifications
in the SSLMutex stuff in the 2.0.45 changes.

Any ideas ?

André

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Apache 2.0 testers,
>
>   can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
> checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?  This
> should look something like;

WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 looks good for me on Unix (prefork, worker MPMs on
Linux and AIX)

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Apache 2.0 testers,
>
>   can you please help move forward the next HTTPD release by
> checking out httpd-2.0 from the WROWE_2_0_45_RC1 tag?  This
> should look something like;

Just a question: does it mean, there's no chance to get the outstanding
patches of mod_rewrite in?

(I know, we should hurry a bit with that release, but the patches are still
waiting for review since exactly one month ...)

nd
--
my @japh = (sub{q~Just~},sub{q~Another~},sub{q~Perl~},sub{q~Hacker~});
my $japh = q[sub japh { }]; print join       #########################

Re: Testers; Apache 2.0 release candidate is tagged

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.