Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Martin Goebel <x-...@gmx.de> on 2010/01/01 12:20:45 UTC

Re: UTF-8 support on CSV

Hi!

By my experience Excel behaves strange, handling CSV.
Opening CSV by double-click leads to someting like a convenience-mode.
This way Excel don't cares about the right charset, or has the wrong
default respectively.

Rename the file to .txt and select the file with the same filter
(Textfiles *.prn, *.txt, *.csv). then you will get a dialog, where you
can choose delimiters, charset and field-types. Now you can select
UTF-8! But only since Ofice 2003. I have to work with an Office 2000,
partly. It can't deal with UTF-8 at all, reading from text-files.

I would think about writing an Excel File with POI/HSSF to avoid these
Problems.

Regards, mago