Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by cl...@student.fsa.ucl.ac.be on 2003/07/08 17:58:19 UTC

Detailed information about searching,indexing technique

Hello. I'm working in a recent company called Denali
which is interested by using Lucene. I have been
looking on the official website in order to get
information about this but i did'nt found any
explanation about how (in details) the index is create
and how the search is being made on it .
 In fact we would like to add two special query:
-one which could find what are the most frequent term
in a document.
-one which could find what are the most frequent term
associated whith anoter term(for example: for a given
term "lucene", we will find "search","moteur","open
source",....)
If somebody could indicate where I could find details
information not on "how to use Lucene" but "How does it
works in details?(algorithme used,...)", it would be
nice.
Best regards
Claude Libois

Re: Detailed information about searching,indexing technique

Posted by Leo Galambos <Le...@seznam.cz>.
Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Berthier Ribeiro-Neto: Modern Information
Retrieval, ACM Press, ISBN 0-201-39829-X

The searching phase is trivial, if you know the basic vector model.
The indexing phase is described on pp 196-199. It is a classic algorithm.

Your queries:
1 - see the archive.
2 - you cannot solve it AFAIK. BTW, you would rather play with the
entropy than with frequencies.

-g-