Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jay States <js...@mac.com> on 2002/07/29 20:53:15 UTC

Port-based questions?

I would like to clear up port-based hosting for mod-ssl:

1. https looks for port 443, but you can change that to any port with
modification to the apache configure file and also as long as you
specify the port in the url (https;//sample.com:445).

2. Mod-ssl does not work for name based hosting.  Me must use ports in
order for it to work.

3. Can you specify more than one port to bind https? What if your only
have 1 ip address and 10 different domain names.  What do you do then?
Place the domain names behind you firewall and use a class a,b or c ip
addresses?

4.  If mod-ssl can be placed on more any one port what does the config
file look like, I keep getting errors.  All the docs I've read said that
name-based virtual do not work.  They do not say that multiple ports can
not be specified.

I have been looking for a solid answer for 3 weeks and thanks to all who
answer my questions.