Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com> on 2009/03/09 17:27:08 UTC

Simulating QoS and Speed

Hi All,

I've been asked to simulate real traffic for our system using JMeter in relation
to file uploads in terms of Quality of Service (approx 60%) and realistic
upload speeds.

Quality of Service seems reasonably possible with JMeter as its a matter of
structuring samplers under a number of random and/or throughput controllers.

Simulating realistic upload speeds seems much harder. I'm told that clients
will upload files to our server at approx 5 - 20 kbps, and to simaulte this
correctly, I'll need to throttle the connection the sampler makes, rather than
adding a delay timer. Is there a way to simulate this in JMeter? Nothing jumps
out at me and I don't recall seeing anything in the User Manual to achieve
this. Has anyone else had to deal with this situation? Does anyone have any
thoughts on how this could be achieved?

Regards,
Noel

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com>.
On Monday 09 March 2009 17:34:17 sebb wrote:
> On 09/03/2009, Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 09 March 2009 16:37:13 sebb wrote:
> >  > On 09/03/2009, Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com> wrote:
> >  > > Hi All,
> >  > >
> >  > >  I've been asked to simulate real traffic for our system using
> >  > > JMeter in relation to file uploads in terms of Quality of Service
> >  > > (approx 60%) and realistic upload speeds.
> >  > >
> >  > >  Quality of Service seems reasonably possible with JMeter as its a
> >  > > matter of structuring samplers under a number of random and/or
> >  > > throughput controllers.
> >  > >
> >  > >  Simulating realistic upload speeds seems much harder. I'm told that
> >  > > clients will upload files to our server at approx 5 - 20 kbps, and
> >  > > to simaulte this correctly, I'll need to throttle the connection the
> >  > > sampler makes, rather than adding a delay timer. Is there a way to
> >  > > simulate this in JMeter? Nothing jumps out at me and I don't recall
> >  > > seeing anything in the User Manual to achieve this. Has anyone else
> >  > > had to deal with this situation? Does anyone have any thoughts on
> >  > > how this could be achieved?
> >  >
> >  > jmeter.properties:
> >
> > Excellent, I'd been using the Java HTTP Request sampler, so had missed
> > this.
> >
> >  > # Define characters per second > 0 to emulate slow connections
> >  > #httpclient.socket.http.cps=0
> >  > #httpclient.socket.https.cps=0
> >  >
> >  > Only works with HttpClient version of HTTP sampler.
> >
> > Does characters per second directly relate to speed? e.g. 20000 CPS  ==
> > 20kbps
>
> CPS is a measure of speed.
>
> Whether 1 CPS == 10 bps I don't know; sounds about right.

I can confirm that there is an almost (in not) direct mapping under the
following situation:

JPEG file  62356 bytes in size
httpclient.socket.http.cps=10000
sample time for upload: 6567ms

6.567s * 10000cps = 65670c ~= 62356b

Regards,
Noel

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com>.

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/03/2009, david@davidwbrown.name <da...@davidwbrown.name> wrote:
> Sebb said what you are looking for only works with the httpclient version which means using the GUI so you can just dismiss the command-line JMeter idea.

Where do you get that idea from?

The HttpClient version of the HTTP sampler works in non-GUI and
client-server mode, same as for all other samplers.

Posted by da...@davidwbrown.name.

Re: Simulating QoS and Speed

Posted by Noel O'Brien <no...@newbay.com>.