Posted to user@usergrid.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2015/02/09 00:14:01 UTC

Re: Cassandra Memory Requirements?

So wanted to give more info to see if there's any recommendation (otherwise
I'll start bugging the cassandra ML)

Our use case is something like two apps involved.  One app writes to a
custom collection in usergrid (actually both do this), and we've let it
grow to 12k entities in that collection.

Now, second app comes in and starts reading those messages to see what to
do next.  Queries for the collection are using 60 as a limit (a performance
limit on the eventual receiver).  We read the message, do some work, and
then delete that entity from the collection.

This to me isn't a lot of data, others may disagree though.  Anyways, we
have a 3 node cassandra cluster where we're seeing Usergrid respond pretty
fast, but ends up waiting on Cassandra for most of the time (3+ seconds per
query).

This is what each server is running:
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseThreadPriorities
-XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -Xms4G
-Xmx4G -Xmn800M -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Xss256k
-XX:StringTableSize=1000003
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-XX:SurvivorRatio=8
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=1 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75
-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly
-XX:+UseTLAB -XX:+CMSParallelInitialMarkEnabled
-XX:+CMSEdenChunksRecordAlways -XX:+UseCondCardMark

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

John

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.
Hey John,
  Try applying this CQL file.  You'll need to update the keyspaces
replication factor to match your distribution.  Note that this required
cassandra 1.2.x or greater.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.