Posted to user@roller.apache.org by "Justin T." <jb...@wi.rr.com> on 2008/02/19 10:27:05 UTC

Custom roller frontpage help

I've been looking through the roller-template-guide pdf trying to redesign my
front page (aggregate page displaying all recent blog posts). It's slowly
getting there. However, I have a few code questions (let me also point out
that I'm not a programmer/html guru in any way, shape, or form).

1) Is it possible to have a single global calendar displayed that functions
like blog-specific calendars?

Example: User1 and User2 both post blogs on 02/17/2008 at different times and
in different categories. I wish to have the global calendar bold the day and,
when clicking on it, then display all blog posts from that day.

2) Is it possible to list out the most recent comments posted?

Example: The comments are posted sequentially where Guest1 posts first, then
Guest2 and Guest3 both post comments later on. Guest1 comments on blog1,
Guest2 comments on blog1 and blog2, and Guest3 comments on blog1 and blog3. I
want to display the last <X> (3 for this example) comments posted across all
blogs. This will show Guest3's comments on blog3, blog1, and Guest2's
comments on blog2.

Does that make sense? If that's not possible, how about this.

Example: The comments are posted sequentially where Guest1 posts first, then
Guest2 and Guest3 both post comments later on. Guest1 comments on blog1,
Guest2 comments on blog1 and blog2, Guest3 comments on blog1 and blog3, and
Guest4 comments on blog3 and blog4. I want to display the last <X> (3 for
this example) comments posted across all blogs. This will show Guest4's
comments on blog4, blog3, and Guest3's comments on blog1.

3) Is it possible to list out today's referrers for all blogs globally?

Re: Custom roller frontpage help

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 19, 2008 4:27 AM, Justin T. <jb...@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> I've been looking through the roller-template-guide pdf trying to redesign my
> front page (aggregate page displaying all recent blog posts). It's slowly
> getting there. However, I have a few code questions (let me also point out
> that I'm not a programmer/html guru in any way, shape, or form).
>
> 1) Is it possible to have a single global calendar displayed that functions
> like blog-specific calendars?
>
> Example: User1 and User2 both post blogs on 02/17/2008 at different times and
> in different categories. I wish to have the global calendar bold the day and,
> when clicking on it, then display all blog posts from that day.

The calendar is design to support one blog and not aggregations.

> 2) Is it possible to list out the most recent comments posted?
>
> Example: The comments are posted sequentially where Guest1 posts first, then
> Guest2 and Guest3 both post comments later on. Guest1 comments on blog1,
> Guest2 comments on blog1 and blog2, and Guest3 comments on blog1 and blog3. I
> want to display the last <X> (3 for this example) comments posted across all
> blogs. This will show Guest3's comments on blog3, blog1, and Guest2's
> comments on blog2.

Yes, in your aggregated front page blog you can use the comments
methods provided by the $site model to get the most recent comments
posted across all blogs. See the Roller Template Guide for details.

- Dave