Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2007/09/18 12:44:50 UTC

Use of JAI classes in Batik and Commons

Batik and XML Graphics Commons include a number of classes from the Java
Advanced Imaging library[1].  There have been some code changes (which
might just be because the files I did a diff against were from JAI CVS,
and the ones in the repo could be from an earlier version), the classes
have been moved into an org.apache… package, and the Sun licence header
has been replaced with the ASL header.

The JAI classes are licensed under the Java Research License[2] for
“research” use and the Java Distribution License[3] for commercial use.
I doubt this use of these classes is permitted by these licences.

Attached is a list of files from Batik’s repo that are taken from JAI.

What should be done about this?

Thanks,

Cameron

[1] https://jai-core.dev.java.net/
[2] http://jai.dev.java.net/jrl.html
[3] http://jai.dev.java.net/jdl-jai.pdf

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Use of JAI classes in Batik and Commons

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
There should indeed by no problem. I've looked into the whole thing once
and was satisfied with what I found. And I agree with Thomas that it
would be problematic to incorporate subsequent updates from JAI. As far
as I can remember the licensing of JAI was changed at some point.

Can I point you to Sanselan [1] as an alternative (middle-term)? This is
a newly started effort to bring a completely ASF-licensed image library
into the ASF. It could also be interesting to put more emphasis on
ImageIO now that Java 1.3 loses importance.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html

Jeremias Maerki

On 20.09.2007 02:51:13 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Thomas DeWeese:
> >     I believe they were donated by Sun early in the project.  Vincent
> > Hardy would have been
> > the person who handled this.
> >
> >     I don't think we have a problem.
>
> OK good to hear.  I wonder if subsequent updates to the JAI classes can
> be incorporated into our repository.
>
> --
> Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
> 	xmpp:heycam@jabber.org  ▪  ICQ 26955922  ▪  MSN cam@mcc.id.au

Re: Use of JAI classes in Batik and Commons

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Cameron,

Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 09/19/2007 08:51:13 PM:

> OK good to hear.  I wonder if subsequent updates to the JAI classes can
> be incorporated into our repository.

   I don't know, it would surprise me if that was allowed.

Re: Use of JAI classes in Batik and Commons

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Thomas DeWeese: